New member from Grand Rapids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MattDaddy

I have been viewing your site and enjoying the great work of your members for some time now. Not sure why it took me so long too join. You have a great site with a ton of great information from some very talented people.

I have been turning pens for a couple years now and it has been a blast. I have always been a pen freak and have a great appreciation for the characteristics of a great pen - both in the look and feel - not to mention how it writes. Gone are the days of spending hundreds of dollars on a Mont Blanc - now I spend tens of hours on a truly unique creation.

Initially I created pens only for myself and as gifts, but it has become glaringly evident that there is a real market for my craft. I am currently in the process of creating a company to market and sell my products. I am currently designing a pen for a very well known celebrity, which has the potential to snowball into a fun adventure. Stay tuned for more on that, as I have some additional connections that should get the story some goood press - not only for my new company, but for the craft of pen making as well.

I currently specialize in segmented pens and am actually teaching a class this weekend at my local Woodcraft store. What a great store and bunch of guys (and lady) working there. If you are ever in the Grand Rapids area, be sure to stop by and say hi to the crew.

Here are a few pics of some of my latest pens. I am investing in a light box this week which should also help get better photos in the future. Looking forward to spending more time on the site and learning from some great masters of the art. DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0366.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

traderdon55

Looking at your work I wish you were doing the class next month instead of this month as I will be visiting my daughter in Muskegon next month. I will second what your comments about the great bunch at Woodcraft. I usually always pay their store a visit every time I go up north.

CaptG

Welcome Matt, I am just down the road from you in Otsego. I know the crew at Woodcraft in GR , they are a swell bunch. Hopefully I will run into you.

austing458

i am in coopersville (you prolly know where that is) also i liked the first one.
i am into making them out of walnut and oak they go together well and readly available

leehljp

Member Liaison
Matt,

Below is a link to PDF file that is a general overview of tools, methods, pens and options that might be helpful to some in making pens. It does not go into detail of the many aspects at all, but just gives a general overview and options. YOU obviously do not need it, but since you teach at WC, this might be a good guide to the many aspects of pen turning for them.

It is not totally accurate and some day I will correct, adjust and expand it a small bit to include a couple of more subjects and hopefully some links from IAP for each subject.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

MattDaddy

Thanks everyone for your welcomes and encouragement. Just picked up a new Light Box and some cool backgrounds to photograph. If I figure out something cool, I'll pass it on.

I am honored to be a member with such a talented group of artists.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome ...

On May 17th, at 1:30, the Michigan Chapter of IAP is meeting in Eaton Rapids. Check out the Michigan forum.

There are several MI IAP pen turners on the west side of the state. I'm hoping you can hook up with one (OR MORE) of them and car pool.

See you then if you can make it.

Jim

MattDaddy

I'll try to make it. I am teaching another segmented pen class at Woodcraft in GR on the 16th, so I don't know if I want to spend another day away from the family. Thanks for the invite though.

MattDaddy

I find myself doing mostly acrylic. I love the bright colors and the vivid contrast I can get in segmenting. I almost have to force myself to do wood. I am getting ready to do a fairly complex combination of wood and acrylic.

Top Bottom