New Member Florida looking lathe recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FLTurn

Evening, turned my first pen at a Rockler class last week. Have read about larger vs smaller lathes limitations and many people prefer variable speed vs belt. Not sure if I can post this here or where to.. Been lookin at getting lathe and various options. Could get a used Jet 1014 for $250.00. Or a new from Rockler
If anyone has other recommendations they have, would be happy to listen. Also with cost of needed tools, chucks and other necessities for pen turning. What's the average starting cost one typically spends? Lookin to pen turn and possibly make lidded boxes. Already own scroll saw, drill press, several hand saws. Thank you

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

I would suggest getting a larger lathe if your budget allows, but be aware that tooling is its own cost that can add up to as much or more than you spend on the lathe itself. You can do more on a bigger machine, since a big lathe can allow small turnings, but a small lathe can't do big stuff.

That being said, I got a used grizzly 10x18 for 300 and it has done well for me. A jet 1014 isn't a bad lathe for pens and other small pieces. You can always sell it or keep it for a dedicated pen lathe if you decide to move to larger projects.

d_bondi

I am new here too and began turning pens 2 years ago.

I started on a Harbor Freight mini lathe that I think is being cleared out. I made a lot of really nice pens on it and then sold it to a friend that I got hooked on pen turning.

If you take a close look, you will see that it is the same lathe as the Rockler Excelsior (without the bed extension) just painted green instead of black.

A year ago, I upgraded and picked up a Jet JWL-1221VS which is a 1HP variable speed midi lathe. So far, I have only turned pens and other small items (tool handles, etc...) and it is a great lathe. For me, well worth the investment. I got lucky and picked it up during a rare 10% off at my local Woodcraft store. I recently began turning kitless/custom pens (2 completed, and 5 in progress) and it definitely has the accuracy I need in order to do the drilling, tapping and threading required for this. It looks like it is on sale 15% off at Rockler right now.

I didn't purchase the stand, as I had already built a custom mobile cabinet for the HF lathe (with an upgrade in mind). I still have to be able to park a car in the shop at night so mobile is important, and I can't waste the space under it. It is loaded with drawers for storage of tools, chucks, centers, blanks and kits.

If something like this is just more than you want to spend right now, then I'd look closely at that Jet 1014. Is it the variable speed version? If so and it is in good shape and the head and tail stocks are aligned properly (or can be), I'd give it serious thought. In my opinion It is a better machine than a new HF or Rockler Excelsior. As I said I am a newbie here and so defer to the many more experienced turners here.

As for "average starting cost..." :cool:. Buckle up, it is very addicting once you realize that the possibilities are endless.

FLTurn

After doing some more research based on all your recommendations. Decided to look in to variable speed only. The 1014 I mentioned was not variable.
Any input on the Jet 1015 variable speed? Found one about 60 miles away for $350.00 used with Chuck, mandrel. If still actually available.
Is Jet much more highly regarded in quality and or customer service compared to other brands such as Grizzly and Wen?
For brand new more affordable - https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-12-x-18-variable-speed-benchtop-wood-lathe/t25920
Those grizzly lathes range from 8x13 1/2hp MT1. Up to the 10x18 3/4 hp MT2.
On Sale for around $400.00. New. Has 3/4 horse power and variable speed.
Would it be a more logical choice to pick the larger 10x18 more hp, mt2, wider variable speed- would that allow more options and opportunities for turning over time vs the smaller not as variable powerful grizzly?
Is MT2 spindle much easier to find matching size accessories vs MT1?
Is there a minimum variable speed I should look for when thinking of hand sanding finish for pen turning?
Is there such thing as only needing one Chuck, Jaw, mandrel and gouge for beginners pen turning,
Not wanting to buy a bunch of unnecessary needed accessories and tools to sit around? didn't want to be in a bunch of $$, was hoping to stay around $5-600 total if possible, not knowing if I'd still with pen turning or turning in general.

Last edited:

derekdd

Right now, Rockler has the Jet on sale 15% off with free shipping if you sign up for their newsletter.

sorcerertd

Welcome!

The Jet 1015 is just a newer version of the 1014 with an extra inch on it. The VS model came along a little later. I bought a used 1014 a few years ago for $150, and a few months ago upgraded to the Jet 1221vs, which I'm happy with. It's not a bad time to be shopping for a lathe. With the Black Friday sales coming, it seems like Jet will be 15% off at most places, with 10% off other brands. The lathe is just the down payment, though. Eventually, you will spend a lot more on tools, chucks, accessories, etc. FWIW, a lot of people have started with that Harbor Freight lathe and moved up to something nicer down the road. Once you get used to VS, you won't want anything else.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Is MT2 spindle much easier to find matching size accessories vs MT1?
Is there a minimum variable speed I should look for when thinking of hand sanding finish for pen turning?
Is there such thing as only needing one Chuck, Jaw, mandrel and gouge for beginners pen turning,

1. If you really like turning, or if you want to sell your lathe and have a wider audience for buying, DON'T get an MT 1. Stay with MT2. MUCH more options and accessories available.
2. Generally, 600 rpm is the minimum; but some higher end (higher cost) VS lathes will go down to 50 or 100 rpm. That said, some VS systems allow for custom settings inside the VS electronics to a lower speed. There are a couple of threads on IAP on doing this.
3. "such thing as needing one chuck, jaw, mandrel" . . . Yes - to get started, then learn what you like to do and purchase an upgrade or larger option later on. Two suggestions - do a search and or ask questions before purchasing a specific chuck or mandrel. Concerning mandrels - entry level mandrels work well to get started for most people. Then after a few dozen pens, you find that a few are out of round or out of center, much of that can be traced back to the mandrel. Higher quality mandrel systems and forms of "TBC" or turning between centers help eliminate that.
4. Suggestion 3: Buy a good set of calipers and measure your turnings - nose cone, center band and clip end and write it down. Then turn to that size. Do NOT rely on the size of the bushings, as bushings change their outside diameter size after being sanded or hit with the turning tool over the course of 10 to 15 pens.

jttheclockman

The point about resale is true. That is why you want good quality to start with. You can not go wrong with a Jet. Not sure why Jet makes or has changed their models over the years. But it use to be a 1014 as opposed to a 1015 now and a 1220 as opposed to a 1221 now but same lathe and yes MT2 is the way to go and yes VS is important and you will be glad you did. As stated the lathe is your least expense as you get more into this hobby. You will see. Good luck. I would be careful when buying a used lathe being you are new to turning because you are not familar to what to look for. The only reason I said that.

jrista

I think its tough to go wrong with Jet. Solid, quality equipment. Most of my shop is Jet now. Their products are generally no frills, but for what each machine does, they do extremely well.

As others have mentioned, I'd go with the 12" lathe rather than the 10" (and MT2 rather than MT1). The difference in cost, if you really get into turning, is worth the additional capability. I started out turning bowls....now I turn bowls, vases, platters (some up to 18" or more), goblets/chalices, turned boxes, salt and pepper grinders and shakers, ornaments and decorations, and of course pens. I am now also getting into various segmented work, for pens and bowl/vase designs. I also started playing around with other woodworking, such as box making including both bandsaw and various standard box designs. Cutting boards and even small tables are on the docket for next year. Once you have the necessary tools, the doors open up and the possibilities grow exponentially.

SteveG

You did good by turning a pen or two, and then deciding to shop and buy all the stuff you will need. A few useful guidlines you might employ:

1. Most turners suggest (based on their own experience) buying a step or two up (Size, capability, price, etc.) beyond what you have determined are your target level of tools and equipment. It is less costly than buying, then replacing.
2. For your major tools and expenditures, effort expended in research yields a big payback. Focus on level of quality, customer service, and overall user satisfaction.
3. Sale pricing is your friend, and there is a lot of that going on right now. Free shipping is significant for the larger tools.
4. Get ready for lots of enjoyment and satisfaction in this new venture! You will find it.

sorcerertd

I'm just going to chime in again and reiterate what's been said, because it is important; stay away from MT1. That is something you will regret when you start looking for accessories.

Definitely research and ask questions about chucks before you buy. It will be one of your workhorses for turning anything and everything. None of them are cheap, and the jaws are not interchangeable between brands, unless you want to do some machine work. So the cost of additional jaws are another consideration if you want to add on later. For what it's worth, I bought this Nova G3 bundle and it has served me well. I purchased the pen jaws separately, but they do have another bundle that comes with them.

FLTurn

I'm just going to chime in again and reiterate what's been said, because it is important; stay away from MT1. That is something you will regret when you start looking for accessories.

Definitely research and ask questions about chucks before you buy. It will be one of your workhorses for turning anything and everything. None of them are cheap, and the jaws are not interchangeable between brands, unless you want to do some machine work. So the cost of additional jaws are another consideration if you want to add on later. For what it's worth, I bought this Nova G3 bundle and it has served me well. I purchased the pen jaws separately, but they do have another bundle that comes with them.
Regarding your ealrier post … although their not Jet….there's a Rikon mini lathe and a LaGuna 12/16 lathe used about 50 miles from me. Not sure if either truly still available. Not very comfortable buying these used due to As others have mentioned I being new do not know enough to buy used by knowing what to look out for.
Would buying a new jet or Rikon with the 5 year warranty be worth the extra money for peace of mind? Is there certian parts that generally fails on these machines if maintained? If I bought a new jet 1015vs.. would that be large enough and fast enough to last me several years and larger projects, or if I would be spending that kind of money and not wanting to upgrade later , might as well get the 1121 brand new ? Being 1 hp, variable and larger and has extension. But once and be done. Or get a brand new Labuan's 12/16, Rikon with the large quill spacing for certian pen turning? For now i only would be wanting To turn pens and maybe learn about boxes lids, ornaments, stoppers.

Attachments

• 01714342-B217-4B0D-842F-7152A8B5E798.jpeg
    01714342-B217-4B0D-842F-7152A8B5E798.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 12AAF058-2EA8-4813-9522-DDDDE800B93B.jpeg
    12AAF058-2EA8-4813-9522-DDDDE800B93B.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 4A081BF4-52E5-4603-8D76-7EFEB14F8845.jpeg
    4A081BF4-52E5-4603-8D76-7EFEB14F8845.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 24
  • 5B5F767E-0839-43D4-A37E-77CF4DA96EEA.jpeg
    5B5F767E-0839-43D4-A37E-77CF4DA96EEA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

sorcerertd

Regarding your ealrier post … there's a 1015vs used available near me that's asking $350.00. With Chuck, mandrel.
Also a 1121 used for $400.00 used, had the switches replaced in last year. Not sure if either still available. Not very comfortable buying these used due to
As others have mentioned I being new do not know enough to buy used by knowing what to look out for.
Would The jet 5 year warranty be worth the extra money? Is there certian parts that generally fails on these machines if maintained? If I bought a new jet 1015vs.. would that be large enough and fast enough to last me several years and larger projects, or if I would be spending that kind of money and not wanting to upgrade later , might as well get the 1121 brand new ? Being 1 hp, variable and larger and has extension. But once and be done. For now i only would be wanting To turn pens and maybe learn about boxes lids, ornaments, stoppers.

It's just my opinion, but the Jets seem pretty bulletproof. I do wonder why they replaced the headstock spindle on that one. I mean, what do you have to do to damage that part, drop it? If it were dropped, or something was dropped on it, I'd be wary of what other damage was done along with the spindle. Replacement parts other than bearings are expensive.

$350 for the 1015VS with the chuck... I guess that depends on the chuck and what jaws come with it You can always offer less. If the mandrel is used, I would just assume it is not 100% true (ie. useless). If it isn't warped, that's just a very big bonus. Only you know what you might want to turn in the future, but I would expect this size to work well for quite a while. I would also expect that, if it is well maintained, you would be able to sell it for what you paid for it, or very close to that, so you won't be out if you decide to upgrade later.

For a used lathe, you'll want to check to see how much play there is in the tailstock, that it locks down tightly, and that the quill moves smoothly. Turn the headstock spindle slowly and listen/feel for even the slightest catch or grinding. Ideally, you would want to make sure that centers line up between the headstock and tailstock, too. I'm sure others can throw in some other tips on top of that.

When purchasing new, Jet does have about the best warranty in the business. If you can afford $850 (with the 15% off), you won't go wrong with a new 1221VS. If you don't have a place to put it, you will need a stand, too.

Top Bottom