New member checking in from San Diego

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Hi All,

I'm very much a beginner at pen turning. Last summer,I took the opportunity to borrow a Delta Midi-lathe for a year,and see if the hobby was a "good fit",and so far it's been pretty fun.I think I've fallen down that slippery slope too!

I don't have a real shop to work in,but just a tiny storage unit that has power in it,but made the best use of space by putting the equipment on carts,since in this part of the country I can work outside pretty much all year round ( except for when the rain comes) but I'm limited to just Sat.and maybe Sunday mornings,and not every week,so I am not able to spend the time I'd like working there.Hopefully,I can do more someday if I retire.This looks like a good hobby to do in the later years.

The lastest project is to do the fabrication work on my lathe cart to accept the wider-footprint of the 46-460 lathe that I've decided to get so I can return the borrowed one.The cart is light duty so making the mods to make it strong/sturdy enough is the hard part so far.But it should work out nice,I'm hoping.

I have only learned the Slimline pens,and have had a harder time making the flat-top pens.I'm hoping to pick up some tips from all the pros here.

I've posted my progress on http://s361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/ossaguy in case anyone wanted to see.

I'm hoping I can learn a lot from you folks here.I just joined a local turning club here too,so I'm hoping that will help too.

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gvanweerd

Wellcome to the Vortex! This place will make your light bulbs go off in your head evey time you come here. Great bunch of folks, don't afraid to ask qestions. You may get five differant ansewers, but we mean well. Again Wellcome.

gvanweerd

It seems i missed the link to your pens, opps.:eek: Your off to a good start. good looking pens. Come on back now ya here.:)

OKLAHOMAN

Welcome, with your ingenuity in creating your set up I bet not before long you'll be making some out-a-site pens....

ossaguy

Thanks everyone for all of the welcomes & kind words! I'm so impressed by how helpful fellow penturners help each other out in this group.
I'd sure like to attend the meeting on Saturday,Dale. Thank you for the invite!

Steve

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Steve. Great to have you here.

Be careful. Many people started this just working on weekends only to find that it begins to consume evenings on other days as well! :biggrin:

Join in the fun!

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Karin Voorhis

I just surfed your photo albums and thats is a very nice set up that you have taken a lot of thought to to it so well organized. Congrats and Welcome to the Never ending additction!!!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from Riverside, CA. I used to live in San Diego for 20 years. SDSU Alumni. Welcome to the FUN!

bobleibo

Welcome from an ex-SoCal kid.......sorry about your team today. I was shocked, but you will find a lot more help here than they got today.
Cheers
Bob

Top Bottom