New lathe for the workshop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRadem

I just picked this up last week and got power to it Saturday. It is a little overkill.. but I can't wait to see what kind of pens I can make with it!:embarrassed:

Attachments

• IMG_9288.jpg
    IMG_9288.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,052
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Man that's a great lathe, Monarch's that old were built to last, The apron on it weighs as much as some of the newer lathes. Does it have a Taper attachment?
You are a very lucky man, did you hook up 3 phase or use a 3 phase inverter?
It looks like it was well kept.

cwolfs69

DRO already installed. curious myself about the power. but i noticed, your shop seams more commercially equiped than most anyway. is that a garage shop. nice machine.

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

GRadem

My brother had a 10hp self starting rotary converter that he picked up for free from Craigslist. He is an electrical engineer so he hooked up the power for it.
It is a home shop garage and I prefer old machines to the new ones. The monarch weighs almost 4000 lbs. I had to drive from Minnesota to Tampa to get it, but it is beautifully maintained with absolutely no wear. It is a 1963 model without a taper attachment.
It included lots of tooling.. aloris tool rest and cutters, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, 2 collet chucks dog plates. etc. I will try and get a picture of the drill press.

GRadem

Here is the first lathe I bought 15 years ago. An Atlas I got it from a 90 year old that had a heck of a time parting with his tools. He had every accessory that was made for it and to this day it is like brand new. It included the cabinet and top and everything he had used to make things. cutters,calipers, dogs, dial indicators lathe milling attachment... you name it..everything! then he sent me with all his metal. a trailer load! I still have a foot long piece of 4 inch brass. My brother and I went together and bought it for $1400.. Jez, I look now and think what a bargain. He is the one I bought the drill press from as well.
He said he knew it was going to a good home!

Attachments

• IMG_9286.jpg
    IMG_9286.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 717

JF36

WOW that is a nice lathe. I am jealous of your shop, I am still trying to save up for a metal lathe and yours makes the one I want look like a toy.

manatee

Greg, I have a DVD by Marshall Burr "Machine Shop Secrets" and he demonstrates his Monarch lathe. It is an impressive machine.
Bob

Robert111

When I see stuff like this I know life is too short. I would die to have a shop like yours and be able to operate that machinery. My father was a toolmaker, but I went the white collar route. No regrets--I had a good time; still . . .

glycerine

Here is the first lathe I bought 15 years ago. An Atlas I got it from a 90 year old that had a heck of a time parting with his tools. He had every accessory that was made for it and to this day it is like brand new. It included the cabinet and top and everything he had used to make things. cutters,calipers, dogs, dial indicators lathe milling attachment... you name it..everything! then he sent me with all his metal. a trailer load! I still have a foot long piece of 4 inch brass. My brother and I went together and bought it for $1400.. Jez, I look now and think what a bargain. He is the one I bought the drill press from as well.
He said he knew it was going to a good home!

I'm just wondering if that telephone works!!!

Top Bottom