New Jet 1221VS lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EdM

I received my new Jet 1221VS a week ago, purchased from CPO Outlets thru my Amazon account.
The unit seems to be price fixed at 1099, with free shipping when purchased with my Amazon Prime account.
This unit, which seems to be excellent quality, and solid as a rock, weighs close to 100 lbs, so I'm sure my prime driver now hates me :).
Turned it on and revved it up to 1500 rpm, it sounded like a jet taking off. Removing the drive belt revealed that the motor is dead silent, and the spindle only freewheels about 180% degrees, so I figured that I have one or two bad spindle bearings.

Took a frustrating 2 days to get a return call from Jet's tech support group, but they agreed to send me new bearings, rather than have me go thru the hassle of boxing up the unit and swapping it for a new one.

Bearings arrived in 2 days.......

Saga to be continued when I have the time to replace them....

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I had trouble with my new Jet. I'm right on the edge is Dallas County. There just so happens to be certified Jet Service center close by. I carried it over to them and they fixed it. If there's not one close to you I'd probably want to do it myself rather than shop it somewhere. I know it's aggravating to spend a good amount of money on something and then service it yourself. Good Luck with it.

EdM

I'm prepared to replace the bearing myself. There are a number of good tutorials on YouTube, including one published by Jet themselves.
Aggravating for sure, but nothing compared to the faults with my 3 yr old Samsung kitchen appliances, which have thus far required a new icemaker under warranty, and a new digital readout module on the stove for over $400 !!! Re-doing the kitchen in a few months, and I may sell these at a loss just to be rid of them.

I'm really looking forward to working with the Jet. It's light years ahead of my 10x18 Harbor Freight lathe, which has become my dedicated buffing station!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for posting. The 1221VS is well represented here and Jet has a great reputation, but their QC should be better than this. Once in a 1000 happens but there seems to be a higher percentage of problems. QC needs to step up before the problems ship out the door.

studioseven

I know the price of everything is going up. I have the same lathe but when I purchased it the price was around $750.00.

Seven

Top Bottom