New Horn Gloat.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from Texas with a stash of horn.. only cost me 3 slimlines, 1 european and 3 game calls..
total out of pocket about $40... plus sold a pen at $35...

This is the guy out of Jewett I've mentioned before...

2006112841746_Deer%20horns.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kent4Him

Lots of straight antlers. That's what I like to see. I don't get my stash of antler until I visit the in-laws at Christmas. Luckly, I get them free. Unfortunately, Missouri White Tail seem to have problems growing straight racks.[:(]

tnilmerl

Yea, Axis racks are straight and big, but I still like turning Whitetail and Mule deer better. Denser material usually. Lots of color too.

And, in case anyone is interested, around Kerrville are a lot of exotic game ranches (gazelle, zebra, etc). Been awhile, so I can't name all the species. With some effort, you can contact some of them and see if that have any sheds they are willing to part with. I also know of a little old gas station between Lost Maples and Kerrville, the name eludes me at the moment, that has milk crates full of the stuff that they sell. The gazelle antler is fairly straight, with a spiral twist. Its not solid all the way thru like most of the deer, but not totally hollow like bovine or bison horn.

And, with some judicous and careful cutting and drilling, you will be amazed how many pens you can get from one rack.

tnilmerl

and 1 additional piece of advice. I cut all the branches off the main trunk for easier storage. Lay nicely in my antler crates. Cutting also gives you ability to see how deep into the core of the antler the color permeates. It can flucuate drastically, even in the same rack.

Oh, and congrats on the nice stash.

Thanks guys, Kinda excited about all the possibilities here..

Dario, the big flat antlers are fallow deer... my wife has claimed those to carve and paint..

any of you guys running North or South on I45... take the Highway 79 exit west to Jewett.. Trade Mart Antiques.. main street, this guy also does a lot of metal sculptures... pretty impressive stuff..
his web site is: http://www.tmjcreativesculptures.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom