New Here Today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

Hello all;
I was referred here by a good freind at another site. I have had some experience with spindle and bowl turning on a full size lathe but I sold that lathe a while back and now I am considering adding pen turning to my hobbies.
I will probably be asking some questions that seem basic to some of the seasoned turners here but I want to learn about turning pens .
I have been looking at some mini lathes and that is as far as I have got to date.
W.Y.

PS What does Check here to subscribe to this topic mean. Perhaps email notification? I left it unchecked for now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pecartus

William, let me be the first to welcome you to IAP. There is a lot of talent in this group and all are very helpful and passionate about turning pens, no better group to belong too to start out. Don't be shy and ask your questions and jump into the conversations, we are all learning here. Again welcome to the group, glad to have you here. [:D]

Rick Prevett

William, concerning your P.S. - I don't know either, but I've just subscribed to this topic by clicking the 'Subscribe to this topic' link at the bottom of these posts. I'll let you know what happens.

rick

LATER - Here's what happened. At the top of the pages are listed the various pages you can click to, Home,Discussions,Photos,Profile,etc. I've now got a new one called 'Your subscriptions'. When I click that it takes me to a list of threads that I have 'subscribed' to. This thread is listed.

I also got the following e-mail:

Hello Rick Prevett

You subscribed to the topic 'New Here Today' at penturners.org

Forum member Daniel has just posted a reply in that topic.
Click the link below to see the posting.

Ya learn somethin' new every day.

rick

Daniel

William,
Welcome, and don't be shy about anyquestions you have. it may cause a few for all of use as well.
and the check thingy is just what you think it is. it will send a link to the new message to your e-mail. when you click it it brings you to the sight so you don't get into the habit of not looking at new photos and such [:)]
lots of ideas in there as well. free for the stealing that's one reason there are in there. the biggest being pride of course.
and don't wait till your an old timer to add suggestions and ideas. new minds breed new ideas.
and never forget to have fun

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
To those of you who do not know Bill Young.. let me tell you he is an amazing scroll saw artist who specializes in fretwork clocks....
Welcome Bill

William Young

Denise. (and others)
Thanks you and it is ironic that you mentioned the bent clocks because I just came in from my shop and I am working on a mail order of two bent clocks and two mini desk clocks because the customer always seems to pick the ones that I am out of stock on and havn't replenished for some time. I am trying to get them done today so I can get the first oil application on them which has to cure for a couple days previous to the laquer finish coats so I can go camping for the weekend while it is curing.
I am looking forward to trying some pens . I am just at the listening and learning stage but I don't think pen making will be beyond my capabilities.
W.Y.

jbjwood2000

welcome William, aslo new here and also to pen turning. learning a lot here and the people very nice. always willing to help. look forward to seeing your work.

melogic

Welcome William,
I too am young to this group and to pen turning. When I first started thinking of Pen turning, I went to Woodcraft and took one of their classes on turning pens and it helped tremendously. They answered a lot of little questions that would have set me back a few months or so (Maybe). Anyway, welcome!

Evan

Hi William,

Welcome! I'm new as well. I bought myself a minilathe a few months ago because of the price and size (a Taig).

I've briefly skimmed through your site... lovely work! The first thought that came into my mind when I saw those bent clocks was the movie - Dark City.

Kurt Aebi

Bill,

Glad to see you made it over here. You are more than welcome over here. You'll see some familiar faces here too, like "Old Griz" (Tom - another excellent scroller that like to turn as well)

Have a great time here and I know you'll add a lot to this forum as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom