New from NB, Canada

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Airedale

Glad I found this place :cool:

I built a fishing rod a fishing rod a couple of weeks ago and decided that for the next one I will turn my own grip and reel seat. That led to purchasing an old Delta 1460 lathe, which led to an interest in turning pens.

I don't have any turning tools yet, still deciding between the Economy and Henry Taylor Basic Set at Lee Valley. Right now I am leaning towards the economy set, any comments or suggestions appreciated.

EDIT: This set of Tools is for sale on a local forum for $260.

Jeff

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

First, Welcome to the Forum.

Second, I would highly suggest that you go to a local store like Woodcraft and actually handle the tools. Many here have found that longer handled tools are better for control. The smaller tools are much harder to adequately control. Pick the tools up and go over to a lathe and see how they "feel" to you as you stand in front of the lathe.

Airedale

Thanks Fred,

My 'Local Store' is 4hrs away, the only tools around here are small are not very good (and small). The longer handle sounds very reasonable, that helps.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
There are no local 'woodcraft's in Canada! :)

The economy will be fine to start, but Benjamin's Best from PSI is even cheaper, and I like them better...buy ONE or TWO tools to start - you don't need a full set.

I bought a set, and I use the same three tools almost exclusively!

Andrew

el_d

Welcome from Texas.

When I started I also got a few tools to start with but usually use my 1" Sorby skew(takes practice) and the tool I really like is the wood chuck offered by bitshird.

Airedale

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hank that Tutorial will be helpful, thanks :cool:

I have ordered some tools and supplies, looking forward to starting my first pen.

Top Bottom