New diamond technique, in progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Trying a new method of making a diamond blank. So far so good. Hopefully, I can finish gluing one up tonight and turn one tomorrow.
IMG_1294.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those look absolutely cool!!! Gotta love precision, and you have it.

Looking forward to the results.

Mighty nice.

KenB259

This is great! How did you make the cuts into the light wood?

Awhile ago I had made a simple router table sled to accurately make some dado cuts. I figured I cut use that with a v bit to cut some grooves that I could then glue 3/16," square " diamonds into. Then just glued a matching piece with the same grooves onto the top. The diamonds might be a little big, but right now I'm just trying to get a repeatable technique. I made a spacer the exact dimension between the diamonds, point to point and that let me rout the grooves the correct amount. Hopefully I can turn one tomorrow to see if my method will work. So far I'm happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

Being you are close to an idea of what I was thinking and being I do not have the time to play with it i will share with you and if someone else wants to attempt and has the tools, maybe they can try. This is because you are using square diamonds. Use a dedicated mortiser or if you have the attachments for your drill press you can go that route. Should work just fine once you have the layout and calculated spacing. I see no reason why not. I have both tools and was at some time give it a try. Now you know one method I was thinking of doing them You can even stagger the size diamonds with different sized mortise drill bits.

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-708580-J...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418754402&psc=1

Angela S

Awhile ago I had made a simple router table sled to accurately make some dado cuts. I figured I cut use that with a v bit to cut some grooves that I could then glue 3/16," square " diamonds into. Then just glued a matching piece with the same grooves onto the top. The diamonds might be a little big, but right now I'm just trying to get a repeatable technique. I made a spacer the exact dimension between the diamonds, point to point and that let me rout the grooves the correct amount. Hopefully I can turn one tomorrow to see if my method will work. So far I'm happy with it.

That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

KenB259

Being you are close to an idea of what I was thinking and being I do not have the time to play with it i will share with you and if someone else wants to attempt and has the tools, maybe they can try. This is because you are using square diamonds. Use a dedicated mortiser or if you have the attachments for your drill press you can go that route. Should work just fine once you have the layout and calculated spacing. I see no reason why not. I have both tools and was at some time give it a try. Now you know one method I was thinking of doing them You can even stagger the size diamonds with different sized mortise drill bits.

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-708580-J...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418754402&psc=1

I can see how that would work as well.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Love it. I am impressed. Many ways to do things and you have proven this once again. I like your ideas and keep at them and you will continue to grow in this field of segmenting pen blanks. Many more ideas out there. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom