New bowl design (for me)...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Nothing fancy, just a first attempt at something new...

2006871568_P8060021.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Nice job, John. I know this sounds crazy, but ... can you tell me how it felt turning it? Did it seem much different than a round bowl? Any knuckles get in the way?

Dario

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />Nice job, John. I know this sounds crazy, but ... can you tell me how it felt turning it? Did it seem much different than a round bowl? <b>Any knuckles get in the way? </b>

I didn't think so...the wood doesn't have red stains [}:)].

Kidding aside...it is a nice piece and a definite knuckle (or whatever gets in it's way) buster. UNLESS...the design is added after turning...which I think is very doable with a bandsaw and will be the route I'll take if I ever attempt this design.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I should have given inspiration for the attempt to Colin. I actually first saw his link from a Woodcraft email/ad.

Here is his website, I hope he won't mind since it did originally come from the woodcraft ad.

Of course, there is absolutely _no_ comparison to his work and mine...maybe in another hundred years I might get there [:)]

http://www.turnspain.com/pent_bowl_inst.htm

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
And yes, for me it took several attmepts and most of the day to get the 'wings' even close to correct. I am normally a fairly aggresive turner when it comes to bowls, but with this it is a _very_ gentle cut out on the wings.

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />Nice job, John. I know this sounds crazy, but ... can you tell me how it felt turning it? Did it seem much different than a round bowl? Any knuckles get in the way?

Dario

John,

Ever thought of doing the cutting AFTER the bowl is turned? I feel it will be easier that way but I may be mistaken.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Once you figure out how to cut the 'wings' it really isn't that hard, just lotsa practice like everything else.

Bandsaw might work if both sides were even, like a square, not sure how that would work with an uneven amount of sides though. Course me and my bandsaw aren't exactly best of friends sometimes.

Originally posted by Dario
<br />John,

Ever thought of doing the cutting AFTER the bowl is turned? I feel it will be easier that way but I may be mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom