Nested Risers ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EdM

MY HOA is mounting a production of The Pajama Game, and I've been asked to come up with a set of chorus risers that can fold up or be nested to be stored under our on stage piano, for use during the "I'm Not at All in Love" musical number.
Dimensions need to be a total of 8' wide as seen from the audience, and perhaps 12-16 inches deep.
I need 3 of these, to be 12, 24, and 36 inches high.
Each one needs to be able to support the weight of 3 performers, who will either sit or stand on them.

I'm thinking that a 2X4 frame skinned with 1/2" ply might work for this, or maybe nesting benches.
... and of course there is a minimal budget for these set pieces.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks,
Ed Moss

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I think you would be better off using 2x6 frame and 3/4" plywood because 3 "mature" performers on each could easily total 500+ pounds or more.

I would not contemplate a fold-up design. . Strength is of the utmost importance. . 36" is very high when you are standing on it !!

FGarbrecht

Whatever design you choose, make sure you have a way to stabilize the risers to prevent tipping (bolt them into a base frame or the floor). Adults standing on a 3 ft tall bench that is only 12 inches deep sounds like a perfect recipe for a fall / tipping accident. Personally, I wouldn't undertake such a project because of the liability risk, but if I did I'd make d**n sure my liability insurance was up to date.

monophoto

I share the concerns voiced by others.

It doesn't take much of a fall to cause significant injury. I used to be in an adult choral group - we were singing Verdi's Requiem using temporary risers in a nearby town (not our usual performance space) when one of the other basses fell off the riser on the back row - he was a big guy, and the riser was at least two feel tall. He end up with a broken arm. Kinda spoiled the concert.

tomas

Being 6' 2" and a bass singer I have spent a lot of time on choral risers. The risers I have been familiar with were always metal and very rigid. They were also in 6" height increments with platforms of 18" - 24." I echo what others have said and I would not accept such a project. It sounds like they are more concerned about form than function. The height of the back riser should be no more than an easy step up from the floor, otherwise there should be a safety rail.

My $ 0.02.
Tomas

Charlie_W

Many risers will have a safety railing around the top back row.....very worthwhile.
Have you looked into borrowing or renting risers for the event? This would save a lot of time on your part and probably be less expensive than the materials and paint.....also, they wouldn't have to be stored if space is an issue.
I remember, many years ago, helping build a set of risers from 3/4" plywood with some blocking inside as our church choir was performing at a Fourth of July celebration. The risers were bulky and heavy but got the job done.

randyrls

You might be able to rent risers if you live in a decent sized city. Contact local production companies. BUT see next paragraph. You will need young bucks to move these.

At our church we use risers for choir and bells. Metal with carpet. These fold up but are VERY HEAVY (150lbs). Move them with a "roll cart". We also have temporary "risers" made from 3/4" plywood and 2x4 frames that are 8", 16" and 24". You want to make sure the risers cannot wrack sideways. Gussets in the corners anytime someone will be sitting/standing on the riser. We are less concerned when only the bell tables are on the temporary riser. If you have permanent metal risers and want to make temporary risers, make sure the combined farme and plywood height matches the height of the metal riser. don't ask.

EdM

I met with the Director, and we've decided to build a picnic table with benches that's needed for another scene, and use it instead of separate risers. Less stuff to store on stage, and much safer....
That's to all who replied !

Ed

Lucky2

Ed, there is still quite a difference in height, between the seat of a pic-nic table and its top.The maximum amount that anyone should be having to step, is eight inches, or twenty cms. That is the amount of rise allowed per step, according to government regulations. It's like that acrossed the country. So personally, yes I would build them, but the maximum rise I would make them is 24". Anything with more rise then that, would also need a set of handrails on the sides and back of the project. If you want to build them yourself or with some help, you should still have certified drawings. Build them off of the drawings, do not change a thing, unless it's to make them stronger. 3/4" plywood and 2 x whatever width is required, and lots of screws, not nails, screws will make it be more secure.

Len

Shooter-55

Make sure your insurance is up to date........I get nervous when I do something like that, regardless of the goodwill and intent. Just sayin......

Top Bottom