NEJE HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Hello all,
I am having a problem getting consistent results with my NEJE 1500, despite using the same methology and graphic for each attempt.

I have taken on the task of making commemorative pens for my class's upcoming 50 year reunion. Each of the pens will have our class crest on it with the words 50th REUNION 1971-2021 underneath. As you can see from the photo, I'm not having good luck. The blank on the top left is OK. On the one on the top right, 1971-2021 was engraved in a super small font size. On the bottom one, the bottom half of the class crest is cut off.

I am using a Samsung tablet, and am using Majic Bob's rotational jig on the NEJE. Each engraving attempt takes about ten minutes to complete, after which I turn off the NEJE for about 15 minutes before I engrave another blank.

Any ideas out there on what the problem is? Thank you.

John

Attachments

• IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Does it perform acceptably on other wood? The laser diode can weaken and eventually quit. How does it do on an un-turned blank of the same wood? I usually do a test burn if I'm unfamiliar with a particular wood--lighter woods sometimes need a higher setting than dark woods (due to the reflectivity, I believe).

A good idea to let the diode rest--I burned up my first one exceeding the duty cycle (due to ignorance that there was one).

Michael

jcm71

Michael,
I've had the same inconsistency using walnut and maple. I turn it off between burns for about 10-15 minutes. When it works the way I want it, I am extremely satisfied with the results. I have no idea why I am experiencing the anomalies I described above.

mecompco

The first two things that pop into my head are proper belt tension and making sure the jig is properly centered on the laser.

Great thought--I was sort of alluding to that with asking about burning an un-turned blank (or other flat stock). Will the device consistently provide an acceptable burn when not using the rotary jig? Tough to troubleshoot multiple variables! If burns are inconsistent on flat stock, then we'd be able to eliminate the jig as a potential issue.

jcm71

OK, just had five consecutive successful burns. First three were on flat stock and the last two using the rotational jig. I do have several copies of the same graphic on my Samsung pad, and I'm thinking that one or more of them may be corrupted in some way causing the problems described above. On the burns I just completed this morning I made sure to use the same file each time.
Thanks again for your help.

mecompco

OK, just had five consecutive successful burns. First three were on flat stock and the last two using the rotational jig. I do have several copies of the same graphic on my Samsung pad, and I'm thinking that one or more of them may be corrupted in some way causing the problems described above. On the burns I just completed this morning I made sure to use the same file each time.
Thanks again for your help.

That's awesome! My NEJE is the original 1W unit w/o Bluetooth, etc. so I use it with a Windows laptop and MS Paint as my graphic software (works well for this--I use Photoshop Elements or GIMP for anything serious). I didn't consider that a tablet interface might be different.

EdM

John,
There is a NEJE Laser Engraving group on Facebook that can help you with any issue you're experiencing. Valuable info, and very quick replies to any posting....

Ed

Top Bottom