Negative rake insert question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Weaselrunner

Can negative rake inserts be used as a general purpose insert or are they more specialized for resin, acrylic, etc?? Thx

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muddydogs

I use the negative rake round for everything and a radius square for everything. I don't have a problem with the standard radius square cutting wood or resin and for that matter a standard round either but I found the NR round to leave a better finish. I would switch back to a standard round since I purchased a round cup finisher and a long blade finisher from Simple Tools but I have 10 NR cutters I haven't touched.

Weaselrunner

Thanks. Was wondering if instead of buying both regular and negative carbide inserts, if the negatives could be used as an all around bit or not.

Paul-H

I also use the round version for both wood and acrylic without any issues.

Have not tried the square ones yet but plan on buying some soon.

jrista

Thanks. Was wondering if instead of buying both regular and negative carbide inserts, if the negatives could be used as an all around bit or not.
Negative rake is going to be less aggressive. That generally means it will take longer to turn something solely with a negative rake tip, than with a normal tip. The normal tip is more aggressive, so it will remove material faster, but also leave it less sightly (more tearing, etc.)

I use both tips. I use both in flat or sheer scraping orientations. If I need to remove material fast, I use a normal tip, often in a bit of a sheer scraping orientation. When I want a smooth, clean finish, I use a negative rake tip. If I want an ultra smooth surface in the end, I'll use a negative rake tip in sheer scraping orientation, and take very light cuts.

BULLWINKLE

You can use negative rak for everything.
Pros: less chance of catching
Smoother finish
Cons: Not as aggressive. Takes a bit longer to finish your project.
My opinion: They are my preference

KMCloonan

One other thing to consider: You can sharpen the normal carbide cutters on diamond sharpening plates - the sharpening does not make them like new, but it does take care of burrs and restore some cutting edge. You can't do this with negative rake cutters, which are also more expensive than the regular cutters.

I tend to use the normal cutters when I am cutting wood, and switch to negative rake for resin or hybrid cutting.

derekdd

I recently bought the negative rake cutter from PSI and have been pleased with the way it tackles acrylic and hybrid blanks.

I've used it for a couple of light scrapping passes on exotics to cut down on a couple of grits of sanding as it leaves such a smooth finish.

egnald

You can build a custom tool that sort of gives you the best of both a negative rake approach angle and the use of a standard, flat cutter that can be sharpened by lapping on a diamond card. Link to a post I did on the subject in 2021 which includes a diagram of a standard cutter, the EWT type negative rake cutter, and a custom tool that presents a standard flat cutter at a negative rake angle. - Alternative to negative rake cutters. - Dave

Weaselrunner

I've been using negative rake bits for a while now. What a night and day difference. I have actually gotten to enjoy turning acrylic now. Also use em on wood, seems to be a finer turn now.

jttheclockman

I think I am going to get some of these to try on a different project and use them sort of like a bull nose wood scrapper on a few projects. Where is a good place to put an order? Thanks. I am afraid a reg. carbide scrapper maybe too aggressive for what I have in mind.

duncsuss

I think I am going to get some of these to try on a different project and use them sort of like a bull nose wood scrapper on a few projects. Where is a good place to put an order? Thanks. I am afraid a reg. carbide scrapper maybe too aggressive for what I have in mind.
I recomment AZ Carbide ... Ron Campbell is a turner and all round good guy.

egnald

Will his cutters fit the Easy Wood tools?
Hi JT,

You may have already found this, but as a FYI for anyone else, AZ Carbide has a cross reference for many of the popular carbide tools including Easy Wood Tools (it's on page 2). Here is a link: AZ Carbide Cross Reference Chart.

I think the prices are much more reasonable than buying directly from Easy Wood Tools, however I don't know if their negative rake cutters cover all of the Easy Wood Tools sizes but they do fit my Mid Size tools. Here is a link to that page too: AZ Carbide Negative Rake.

Regards,
Dave

PS I use Negative Rake carbide often, especially on plastic and very hard wood blanks, but instead of using the special negative rake cutters, I built a tool that holds a standard cutter but presents the cutter to the work at a negative rake angle.

jttheclockman

Hi JT,

You may have already found this, but as a FYI for anyone else, AZ Carbide has a cross reference for many of the popular carbide tools including Easy Wood Tools (it's on page 2). Here is a link: AZ Carbide Cross Reference Chart.

I think the prices are much more reasonable than buying directly from Easy Wood Tools, however I don't know if their negative rake cutters cover all of the Easy Wood Tools sizes but they do fit my Mid Size tools. Here is a link to that page too: AZ Carbide Negative Rake.

Regards,
Dave

PS I use Negative Rake carbide often, especially on plastic and very hard wood blanks, but instead of using the special negative rake cutters, I built a tool that holds a standard cutter but presents the cutter to the work at a negative rake angle.
Thanks Dave. I did not see my numbers there. I have an Easy Wood CIO cutter. You have to have the right size cutter to fit on those tools because of the shape of the hold down area. I broke down and bought one of Easy Woods cutters and yes they are $7 more but when I get done with this batch of pens I have been working on I want to refocus to a new field and that is cutting some acrylics and woods for other projects. If it works will see. I know if I have to just use a scrapper tool it will require alot of sharpening.

egnald

Thanks Dave. I did not see my numbers there. I have an Easy Wood CIO cutter. You have to have the right size cutter to fit on those tools because of the shape of the hold down area. I broke down and bought one of Easy Woods cutters and yes they are $7 more but when I get done with this batch of pens I have been working on I want to refocus to a new field and that is cutting some acrylics and woods for other projects. If it works will see. I know if I have to just use a scrapper tool it will require alot of sharpening.
Oh, you must have their full sized tools - now I understand. - Dave

jrista

You are going to love how the EWT tools with negative rake tips handle acrylics. Its amazing! I enjoy turning acrylics more than wood just because its so darn fun with the negative rake, watching those beautiful streams of resin come flying off the blank! :D The negative rake really does make it so much easier to turn most resins. I never had much trouble with TruStone, which is really hard and brittle stuff, because of the softer blow the negative rake tips have. The TruStone comes off more as a powder, but it still turns really easily, even the most challenging stuff.

jttheclockman

You are going to love how the EWT tools with negative rake tips handle acrylics. Its amazing! I enjoy turning acrylics more than wood just because its so darn fun with the negative rake, watching those beautiful streams of resin come flying off the blank! :D The negative rake really does make it so much easier to turn most resins. I never had much trouble with TruStone, which is really hard and brittle stuff, because of the softer blow the negative rake tips have. The TruStone comes off more as a powder, but it still turns really easily, even the most challenging stuff.
I never had a problem turning wood, acrylic metal or any combination with standard carbide and probably will continue but may try these on pens too. My big goal is to be able to hollow out acrylic and I am afraid that a positive rake maybe too grabby and cause kickbacks. I usually would use a scrapper for that but with acrylic it means so much more sharpening and that is what I am trying to avoid if possible. The testing will begin in hopefully a few weeks, depending how many more pens I want to put out there.

duncsuss

I never had a problem turning wood, acrylic metal or any combination with standard carbide and probably will continue but may try these on pens too. My big goal is to be able to hollow out acrylic and I am afraid that a positive rake maybe too grabby and cause kickbacks. I usually would use a scrapper for that but with acrylic it means so much more sharpening and that is what I am trying to avoid if possible. The testing will begin in hopefully a few weeks, depending how many more pens I want to put out there.
John, I just noticed that Woodturningz are having their New Year Sale and EWT negative rake carbide inserts are among the offers ... they might have the ones that you need:

Top Bottom