Needed: Wenge Hybrid Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Is anyone aware of or able to make a wenge and acrylic hybrid blank? I've only found one online and it decided to blow out while drilling on a drill press. I don't have the precision tools for any sort of segmenting nor do I have the ability to do any casting. I'd be more than happy to work out some trading or just buy from someone if they're willing
I'm looking to make a pen as a gift for my brother who wants wenge incorporated... however, wenge can look pretty bland to me and I know he'd appreciate some color. Here is a picture of the one I liked that blew out... I'm open to any creative solutions/combinations.

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 8.22.32 PM.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I believe these are made by JTuttleWoodworking. You can find his story on Etsy. I've bought a number of these kinds of blanks from him. Found this Wenge one:

It looks like he has others that incorporate Wenge. Not sure if any have the green though.

jrista

Nevermind, here is the exact blank you are looking for:

FWIW, I've turned a number of these, and I've never had one blow out. I don't think its an inherent problem, so if you wanted to try another, just go slow and back out frequently to clear the flute. You should be fine. I've drilled them on both the lathe and a press. Lathe gets you more dead-centered drilling. I think I've used a bradpoint bit for these in all cases...not sure if that matters. When it comes to metal in blanks, I generally find that a normal bit is better, but these seemed to drill out find with a bradpoint (which cuts from the outer tips, vs. the center like a normal bit...that may play a role in drilling these without issue.)

Also FWIW, I have made a number of wenge-incorporated segmented pen blanks. I haven't done a lot of turning lately, but at the beginning of the year I was kind of on this retro styled pen binge. I found that Wenge had a very 60's look to it, especially paired with solid colored resins and metal bands. I could probably make a blank like that if you wanted. Just PM me if you have a specific idea you would like for a segmented blank. I use T88 epoxy these days, which is pretty strong, although I will say that thin metal segments can often result in separation of segments unless you give the blank a good long while to fully cure hard (and at a high enough temperature.) I could make segmented blanks without the metal as well.

Last edited:
Nevermind, here is the exact blank you are looking for:

FWIW, I've turned a number of these, and I've never had one blow out. I don't think its an inherent problem, so if you wanted to try another, just go slow and back out frequently to clear the flute. You should be fine. I've drilled them on both the lathe and a press. Lathe gets you more dead-centered drilling. I think I've used a bradpoint bit for these in all cases...not sure if that matters. When it comes to metal in blanks, I generally find that a normal bit is better, but these seemed to drill out find with a bradpoint (which cuts from the outer tips, vs. the center like a normal bit...that may play a role in drilling these without issue.)

Also FWIW, I have made a number of wenge-incorporated segmented pen blanks. I haven't done a lot of turning lately, but at the beginning of the year I was kind of on this retro styled pen binge. I found that Wenge had a very 60's look to it, especially paired with solid colored resins and metal bands. I could probably make a blank like that if you wanted. Just PM me if you have a specific idea you would like for a segmented blank. I use T88 epoxy these days, which is pretty strong, although I will say that thin metal segments can often result in separation of segments unless you give the blank a good long while to fully cure hard (and at a high enough temperature.) I could make segmented blanks without the metal as well.
Thanks for the tips and for the offer. These were from JTuttle, but a I mentioned, the owner passed away (suddenly from what it sounds like). Needless to say I do have some other blanks from them that I'll try out and see if I can avoid any blowout.

On a different note, I went back to get some more feedback from my brother and he was willing to sacrifice the wenge for some pretty Claro walnut that I have. He was looking for a "chocolaty" pen so that seemed to fit the bill.
Thank you for your offer and for responding! I was a bit in panic mode having no alternatives.

jrista

Thanks for the tips and for the offer. These were from JTuttle, but a I mentioned, the owner passed away (suddenly from what it sounds like). Needless to say I do have some other blanks from them that I'll try out and see if I can avoid any blowout.

On a different note, I went back to get some more feedback from my brother and he was willing to sacrifice the wenge for some pretty Claro walnut that I have. He was looking for a "chocolaty" pen so that seemed to fit the bill.
Thank you for your offer and for responding! I was a bit in panic mode having no alternatives.
Oh, I missed that he had passed away... Very sad. I love his blanks.

jrista

I've been working on adding all my inventory into CraftyBase lately. I just got to doing the Etsy purchases. I had an number of purchases from JTuttleWoodworking. His blanks were so nice...and then I remembered this thread, and that he passed away. So very sad.

Top Bottom