Needed extra dishes...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

I was short a few dishes for a party, so I turned a couple.

Ambrosia maple, mahogany and walnut, maple and walnut X 2, Cocobolo X 2, and a salad bowl from Mahogany.

The dishes are 9-12" and the bowl is 12X4.

Dishes.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Boy that looks like fun! What kind of a lathe do you use to make these?

M

Mudder

Aren't they fun John?

I have an old book that gives some interesting idea's for laminating turned plates. It's nice to "stray" from the pens once in a while and see what you can do.

Doghouse

I use a Jet 1442 to turn with. The plates are all out of 2x. I was not intending to laminate them, but I did not have a piece long enough to make 2 plates, so I added the walnut. It looked good so I added a piece to the Mahogany. I may play around with this idea.

Woodnknots

Very nice, I'm heading to yukon lumber tomorrow to see about some mahogany turning stock, myself. It does turn pretty nice. BTW, John, the wife is going on a trip come Friday, and not going to be back till the next weekend Sunday. I think I hear my shop calling, maybe we should get some turning in???

Doghouse

Dave, Yukon has 1 nice piece left. it looks like they were making an arch and the cutoff is there. Good size piece, I would say 4". I may be down there this evening. Do you have the truck? Call me at work.

Chris, If you want the plates we can discuss that option. E-mail me.

Ray, I agree. The Cocobolo does not get justice from this picture. I will take some more shots in the next day or so. The grain has some great color variations. Blues, reds, yellows every color of the rainbow.

dubdrvrkev

Very nice. Good work as always.
I've been planning something like this. But was unsure on what stock to use. Are you using just rough cut 8/4 stock? I like the laminated ones also, are they laminated on the face grain or edge grain? I am thinking on making an entire table setting, but we'll see if that works out.

Doghouse

Face grain to face grain to get the most strenght out of the joint. I just cut 1x stock in 2 inch widths. Stacked them on the side and glued. I am thinking about an "Eagle" bowl, but the glue is murder on your tool edge.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Hmm, guess I will take off from work real early today [:D][}:)]

..just kidding..[:)]

Nice looking turning John..!

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Dave, Yukon has 1 nice piece left. it looks like they were making an arch and the cutoff is there. Good size piece, I would say 4". I may be down there this evening. Do you have the truck? Call me at work.

Woodnknots

<br />Dave, Yukon has 1 nice piece left. it looks like they were making an arch and the cutoff is there. Good size piece, I would say 4". I may be down there this evening. Do you have the truck? Call me at work.

Ray, I agree. The Cocobolo does not get justice from this picture. I will take some more shots in the next day or so. The grain has some great color variations. Blues, reds, yellows every color of the rainbow.
I went down there today, and yes, that piece was there. They wanted $30 for it, I talked them down to $25. I should be able to get 4-5 decent size lidded box bottoms out of it, if I can get some 6/4 to use as tops.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
There is another place you might check, also.
It's at the foot of the MM bridge/tunnel on the Newport News side, called Waterfront Lumber I believe. They have cutoffs also, but nowhere near as nice as Yukon...

Originally posted by daveturns05
<br />

I went down there today, and yes, that piece was there. They wanted $30 for it, I talked them down to $25. I should be able to get 4-5 decent size lidded box bottoms out of it, if I can get some 6/4 to use as tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom