Need some advice on a new oven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I was in the shop today trying to stabilize some wood I got from a neighbor. The vacuum system worked great but when I put the blanks in the oven I had all kinds of trouble keeping the temp right. I use a gas fired oven and usually have no problems with it...until today. So I walked into the house and told my wife I needed a new toaster oven and her first suggestion was to ask on this site...Smart lady for sure. So, if you stabilize using Cactus Juice what kind of stove do you use and what brand?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Hello Tom. I haven't done much stabilizing but I do have a stabilizing setup. I went through great pains until I wound up with the fittings going through the side of the chamber and not through the lid - and a glass lid instead of plexiglass or polycarbonate (Lexan). My first lid imploded and made a real mess - anyhow, to your question....

I did some research before buying a toaster oven and came to the conclusion that I would be best off by buying an inexpensive (simple) oven and then add an inline temperature controller in order to get the precision I was after for stabilizing with Cactus Juice. So, I wound up buying an inexpensive ($30) 1000W toaster oven with a simple on-off and temperature knob on it (nothing digital). I think it is a KitchenSmith or something like that. I got it from Target.

Then I added an inline temperature controller with an external probe similar to a Digiten Temperature Controller. They are made for controlling heaters for greenhouses, homebrewing, reptile cages, etc. It cost about $40 online. That way I can stick the temperature probe in the oven and simply set one knob to "always on" and crank the temperature on the other knob to the max and let the inline controller do it's thing. The controller has a maximum of 248-degrees F which is plenty for curing Cactus Juice at 205-degrees.

So far this setup has been working for me. - Dave

PS I used a similar setup with an external temperature controller to turn a chest freezer into a chest refrigerator to store beverages in.

Hello Tom. I haven't done much stabilizing but I do have a stabilizing setup. I went through great pains until I wound up with the fittings going through the side of the chamber and not through the lid - and a glass lid instead of plexiglass or polycarbonate (Lexan). My first lid imploded and made a real mess - anyhow, to your question....

I did some research before buying a toaster oven and came to the conclusion that I would be best off by buying an inexpensive (simple) oven and then add an inline temperature controller in order to get the precision I was after for stabilizing with Cactus Juice. So, I wound up buying an inexpensive ($30) 1000W toaster oven with a simple on-off and temperature knob on it (nothing digital). I think it is a KitchenSmith or something like that. I got it from Target.

Then I added an inline temperature controller with an external probe similar to a Digiten Temperature Controller. They are made for controlling heaters for greenhouses, homebrewing, reptile cages, etc. It cost about $40 online. That way I can stick the temperature probe in the oven and simply set one knob to "always on" and crank the temperature on the other knob to the max and let the inline controller do it's thing. The controller has a maximum of 248-degrees F which is plenty for curing Cactus Juice at 205-degrees.

So far this setup has been working for me. - Dave

PS I used a similar setup with an external temperature controller to turn a chest freezer into a chest refrigerator to store beverages in.

Thanks for the info Dave. I'll do some checking and see what I can come up with. I do use an exterior wire fed temp gauge that was recommended by the guy who calibrated our range in the house. Works great but the stove just doesn't want or seem to want to work likes it's supposed to. I'll take your advice and see if I can mimic it. Thanks for the info.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I picked up a free standing electric range oven that was being replaced by a neighbor. Hooked it up under the carport behind my shop.

MRDucks2

When I need a new one I really think I am going to an electric smoker. Best control for the price I have come across. Or I will use the electric smoker I have and buy a new one for the meat. šŸ˜Š

greenacres2

Used dental lab oven. High mass, very stable temps. Older analog units are cheap on auction, but expensive to shipā€”so driving distance is your friend. Much safer than a toaster ovenā€¦I'm not a fan, even in the kitchen.
Earl

Couple things...

1. Stay away from toaster ovens... I think I need two hands to count the number of shops I've seen burned down because "oh hey I got a free toaster oven"
2. You can NEVER have a big enough oven. Trust me on this...

HIGHLY recommend a lab or curing oven. They're designed to run 24/7 and do NOT have exposed heating elements. Exposed heating elements is like gambling with a shop fire. Just don't do it. Yes, they are more expensive. But they hold temps steady and don't burn your shop down. They can be had for a few hundred dollars used. Or if you plan on using them in a business, a really good new one is about 5k. 5 cuft works really well for having plenty of space... though admittedly I REALLY love my new one that's about 7ft tall. :)

greenacres2

Couple things...

1. Stay away from toaster ovens... I think I need two hands to count the number of shops I've seen burned down because "oh hey I got a free toaster oven"
2. You can NEVER have a big enough oven. Trust me on this...

HIGHLY recommend a lab or curing oven. They're designed to run 24/7 and do NOT have exposed heating elements. Exposed heating elements is like gambling with a shop fire. Just don't do it. Yes, they are more expensive. But they hold temps steady and don't burn your shop down. They can be had for a few hundred dollars used. Or if you plan on using them in a business, a really good new one is about 5k. 5 cuft works really well for having plenty of space... though admittedly I REALLY love my new one that's about 7ft tall. :)
That's what i meant to say this morning--but needed to get ready for work. The one i had, higher end-bought new, i added a temp controller. Temp controller set at 156f, power would cut out, and the probe would still rise above 400f before the temp would start to drop. Came into the detached garage one morning to the find the oven charred and 6 buckeye burl ash piles exactly 3/4" sq x 5" long. Lucky we didn't lose everything in the garage, and fortunately it is detached.
Another advantage to my lab oven is that it draws less than 5 amps at 120v. Paid $50 and it was less than 15 miles from my house (otherwise shipping would have more than doubled that!!)
earl

Top Bottom