Need Recommendation for Lathe Work Light

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KarlSangree

I have a Penn State Industries Turncrafter Commander 12in. lathe. My one complaint is with the swivel work light: it's WAY too short. I purchased a nice clamp on, touch control, LED swivel work light which works really well illuminating the work area... until I turn on the lathe. It then randomly turns off and on and switches modes (warm yellowish to cool blue). I'm guessing that it has to do with EMF generated by the electronic variable speed controller.

I looked for a non-LED replacement swivel light to replace the one on the lathe, or a clamp-on lamp that is either non-LED or doesn't use a touch control that won't be affected by the RF emissions of the speed controller... no success. Everything is LED these days.

Any suggestions short of building a Faraday cage around the clamp-on bench light??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I also have the 12" Turncrafter. I am generally pleased with the worklight, but - - -

First, I use an LED appliance lamp in it rather than either an incandescent or CFL. I learned the hard way that CFLs are fragile, and aren't ideal if you get a catch and a lump of wood flies off the lathe. The LED that I use is in a plastic shell, so it won't shatter like the CFL did.

Second, a lamp that close to the actual workpiece produces hot spots (lighting-wise). So I have a second lamp in one of those cheap aluminum reflectors mounted above the tailstock end of the lathe. Both the lathe and that second lamp are plugged into an outlet strip so that I can switch them on together. The second light source on the other side of the work fills in the shadows left by built-in worklight, but still leaves shadows at edges (which I need because of a vision problem).

By the way, I suspect the problem you are encountering is not RF interference, but rather harmonics injected into the power system from the adjustable speed drive on the lathe that are interacting with the electronic controls in your secondary light. You mentioned that the lamp was switching modes: you might try a simple LED rather than one of the fancy multi-mode versions to see if that makes a difference.

Mortalis

I have a Penn State Industries Turncrafter Commander 12in. lathe. My one complaint is with the swivel work light: it's WAY too short. I purchased a nice clamp on, touch control, LED swivel work light which works really well illuminating the work area... until I turn on the lathe. It then randomly turns off and on and switches modes (warm yellowish to cool blue). I'm guessing that it has to do with EMF generated by the electronic variable speed controller.

I looked for a non-LED replacement swivel light to replace the one on the lathe, or a clamp-on lamp that is either non-LED or doesn't use a touch control that won't be affected by the RF emissions of the speed controller... no success. Everything is LED these days.

Any suggestions short of building a Faraday cage around the clamp-on bench light??
I'd suggest trying a different outlet. One not associated with the lathe.

I use a goosenck stand lamp in back of my lathe. The one I bought apparently is not available anymore but this one is very similar. I have a Delta 46-460 and I dont have any issues with the lathe affecting the light.

KarlSangree

I don't have a photo but I use a clamp-on desk lamp mounted on the wall over the lathe.
That's what I have... but mine acts weird when the lathe is running. I thought it was stray RF but monophoto thinks it's more of the speed control actually sending a stray harmonic voltage back into the circuit. I am going to try a straight lamp with no touch electronics... something with just an off/on switch.

KarlSangree

Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to buy another bench lamp similar to the one in the photo below, something with just an on/off switch... no touch electronics. Hopefully, the electrical interference the monophoto mentioned won't affect this.

bench Lamp.jpg

Sylvanite

I use halogen point-source lights for lathe work. The small light source yields sharp shadows which makes it easier to see tool marks and sanding scratches. It really shows off the finish quality. Before I bought them, I used to have to take a pen barrel off the lathe and look at it under direct sunlight to check the finish. The only real downside is that the bulbs are fragile. If I accidentally knock the magnetic mount off the lathe, the bulb pops.

I hope that helps,
Eric

SteveG

Here are a few ideas I have incorporated for lathe work lighting. Notice there are three lights. An LED tube at very top for general lighting. Also two gooseneck/mag base lights. Why these? The tube light is plastic, thus will not shatter like glass. Both goosenecks are LONG, 27" base-to-bulb. One provides a more diffuse beam, the other more focused. The mag base allows max flex for positioning just where it is needed. Maybe one or more of these solutions will fit with your needs. Sorry, but do not have model #'s.

EDIT: I just realized this is an older thread. But happy to provide the info. I would not change my setup shown, it provides excellent lighting no matter what configuration or project I have on the lathe.

Lathe Lighting.JPG

Last edited:

dogcatcher

I have a few of these.

1 holds my cell for my music, another holds my dust collecting hood, and the other 2 hold clip on lights. I have several more spread around the shop tools.

SteveG

BTW, a somewhat related topic. I have purchased a lowest cost articulating TV wall mount device. Not for a TV, but for mounting a dust collector hood. Once in place, it will allow a nice amount of adjustability in positioning the hood for a variety of turning projects.

Top Bottom