Need professional(and non prof) advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

This a gift from my pool buddy...he took an interest in turning and is growing fast. Should I saturate the blank with CA or clear epoxy before turning?

Attachments

• IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2886.jpg
    IMG_2886.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Here is what I would do. Wrap Blank with several wraps of gauze ,coat with lot of thin CA. Cure over night. Cut blank to barrel size. Then drill slowly, coat drill hole with CA. Let cure over night. The re drill and install tube with Med CA. Let it cure over night. As you turn like Mal said use. thin CA often.
Going to be hard to keep from blowing up but it can be done, just work slowly and let CA cure.

Good luck on this one.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Oh my... Yes. I would do what Mal suggested, then what Charlie suggested, then back to Mal for repeated CA while turning. With care, sharp gouges and a light touch it can be done.

Oh, wear a good face shield . :eek:🤭

Looks like FUN!

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would add, add gauze & CA to the turned blank BEFORE drilling. Gauze and CA at every step. Can't be to cautious. But you might regret it if you aren't.

jttheclockman

If you are making this into a 2 piece pen then cut blank to near length. If making a one piece blank then again cut close to size leaving about 1/2" on ends if it is long enough. You problem will come into play when drilling because you want to drill down that center row of pencils. What I would do is make it into a solid block and a square one. You can do this a couple ways. Resins, cast in a mold that is square to that blank. Make it 1" square or whatever it measures. Or you can use an epoxy. Something that is gap filling and can be smoothed out flat so all those grooves. are flat. How were those pencils glued in?? If Ca then that will be tough to keep together. But if you encase it and not in gauze but some epoxy you have a very good chance to pull this off. If you can get the blank square then I would drill it first. Then start spinning it and as mentioned soak in CA as you do it. Also after you drill for tubes make sure to coat inside of holes to secure them better. You can always redrill after it is turned. That is how I would handle it. Resin or epoxy.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Frank,
When I use gauze & CA on delicate blanks that are likely to blowout in normal circumstances, I (used to use string, but now gauze) gauze and CA the whole blank. Then I turn and round about 1/3 of it. Then gauze and CA the freshly rounded section; Next I will turn another section round and gauze and CA that section; keep on until it it round from end to end. Then do about 1/2 to close to size. repeat this process.

I know some people think this is over the top and excessive. But all one has to do is loose one delicate or blank to wish they had been more cautious. In the end, it will be well worth it. BTW, I would also Gauze and CA BEFORE drilling the holes for tubes.

robutacion

Well, I would suggest to soak it well with thin CA not at pencil end but at their side, do it in steps, let the thin CA penetrate through one side, spray some accelerator after couple of minutes, turn on the other side and repeat until you can see all gaps are well filled with CA.

Drilling can be a problem for unsupported blanks such as those so I would either wrap them if strong tape or cut 4 strips of wood and glue them on all sides like a box, after drilling I would cut the wood strips off put them on the lathe and use the Flap Disc system to get it round close to final size and then finish with sharp chisel or sandpaper.

There are many ways to skin a cat, this is just one of them...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

rjmarc

This a gift from my pool buddy...he took an interest in turning and is growing fast. Should I saturate the blank with CA or clear epoxy before turning?
FYI, the blank was made with epoxy on the first row, then switched to CA for remainder to save drying time. Then drizzled thin CA several times into all cracks on all sides until no open areas could be seen.

WriteON

Rounding out will be fun. A disc sander would be nice. I'm wondering how long it takes before it hits the scrap can. First project might be a mini bolt..... something small(short).

WriteON

FYI, the blank was made with epoxy on the first row, then switched to CA for remainder to save drying time. Then drizzled thin CA several times into all cracks on all sides until no open areas could be seen.
May I introduce RJ. Picked up on turning pretty quick... very creative. Very competitive pool player...nothing to do with pens but he would be good at Joint Protectors, Stoppers and whatever he decides to take on. Welcome aboard RJ...thanks again for the blank....How about posting your finished item.

SteveG

I forget where I read this suggestion, and it does come with a possible hazard. With the goal of increasing CA penetration into cracks and/or gaps, I have read of a technique of using compressed air directed at the work piece immediately after applying CA. The idea is that the air flow would force the CA deeper in, and thus get better penetration where ever there are small gaps. The potential hazard is that the CA might ricochet back toward the operator, possibly causing all sorts of CA mayhem. So you will employ this practice at your own risk, and with appropriate safety practices in place.

WriteON

SteveG. Absolutely a reckless/dangerous technique. If the direction of travel doesn't doesn't injure the operator the fumes will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom