Need kit recommendation for heirloom quality gift

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gcap74

I am getting back into pen turning after not doing it for a while. I just recently purchased wood from the desk of the USS Alabama. My best friend's grandfather served on the Alabama during WWII so I was thrilled to be able to procure some wood to make pens for her and her 2 children (17 and 21). I have been really struggling to find an appropriate kit for it though!

I want something that is heirloom quality, but I am running into issues finding the right kit, so I am looking for some recommendations. I thought I had found the perfect kit with the Jr Gent Ballpoint Pen Kit - Rhodium at Exotic Blanks... https://www.exoticblanks.com/jr-gent-ballpoint-rhodium.html?category_id=324

Sadly, there is only 1 available for purchase and I cannot find the kit for sale anywhere else! (There is a 10k gold one, but it looks different and I am not sure if the 10k gold plating is as good as Rhodium.... it is cheaper, so I am assuming not).

I feel like a ballpoint is something that is more likely to be used frequently than a rollerball, but I am open to that. My only issue is that most of the higher quality, postable rollerballs tend to have a very long and narrow metal barrel when you take the cap off. I like a the wood to be a bit more prominent when it is open too.

I guess my question is... after all that... is there a good, heirloom quality pen kit that doesn't have so large a metal lower barrel (apologies if that is not the correct term for that part of the pen.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smokey S

I am getting back into pen turning after not doing it for a while. I just recently purchased wood from the desk of the USS Alabama. My best friend's grandfather served on the Alabama during WWII so I was thrilled to be able to procure some wood to make pens for her and her 2 children (17 and 21). I have been really struggling to find an appropriate kit for it though!

I want something that is heirloom quality, but I am running into issues finding the right kit, so I am looking for some recommendations. I thought I had found the perfect kit with the Jr Gent Ballpoint Pen Kit - Rhodium at Exotic Blanks... https://www.exoticblanks.com/jr-gent-ballpoint-rhodium.html?category_id=324

Sadly, there is only 1 available for purchase and I cannot find the kit for sale anywhere else! (There is a 10k gold one, but it looks different and I am not sure if the 10k gold plating is as good as Rhodium.... it is cheaper, so I am assuming not).

I feel like a ballpoint is something that is more likely to be used frequently than a rollerball, but I am open to that. My only issue is that most of the higher quality, postable rollerballs tend to have a very long and narrow metal barrel when you take the cap off. I like a the wood to be a bit more prominent when it is open too.

I guess my question is... after all that... is there a good, heirloom quality pen kit that doesn't have so large a metal lower barrel (apologies if that is not the correct term for that part of the pen.

Thanks!
Check out McKensie Pen Works, they have some nice pen kits that might just work……Smokey

jrista

If you are looking for quality platings, rhodium is a good one to have on the list for sure. You should avoid 24kt gold, as its not as resilient as some of the slight gold alloys, although sometimes you can find 24kt gold with epoxy coatings for better resilience. For gold, IMO, TiGold or Titanium-Gold, is one of the best options for pens. Highly durable and resilient, and it has a pretty good yellow gold color to it. After that, I'd say 18kt gold is the next best option, or rose gold (as far as I know, the only rose gold kits around are sold by Beaufort Ink (not sure if they have any US suppliers). An 18kt gold, being alloyed, will be more durable as well. Softer colored yellow, if you want a richer yellow gold color, the TiGold usually delivers.

Platinum, Silver, Sterling Silver, and maybe even Pewter would also make good heirloom quality platings. Chrome is another common plating, but, don't underestimate chrome. It may not be a precious metal, but it is highly durable, and provides good accent to gold.

Regarding specific kits. For rollerball or fountain pen...if you want a "Stronger" pen with a bigger body when the cap is off, try the Cambridge. It actually IS postable, even though it doesn't thread on...you can just push the cap onto the back of the pen (by design). Its a bigger pen, so it should give you plenty of surface area to show off a nice wood blank, if that is your goal. Another larger pen kit is the Majestic (note, there is also a Jr. Majestic that is a lot smaller). The Majestic is a more expensive kit, but it usually can be found in higher quality platings, including 22kt Gold and Rhodium (although it can be hard to find these days):

As you can see, not a cheap kit. The Majestic also has a Swarvoski Crystal in the clip...that may or may not be your thing.

I think there are other kits out there as well that would qualify as "heirloom" quality, including the platings. Depending on the kinds of designs you like, you could look into some of the asian Dayacom kits. There are some rather ornate and larger kits out there. Emperor comes to mind as another larger pen that would offer plenty of surface area to show off any blank. Dayacom has even more ornate pen kits than the Emperor, if you want something really ornate.

jttheclockman

Thanks!
Maybe you want to look at some of the nautical kits.
https://www.exoticblanks.com/Nautical-Pen-Kits/

gcap74

Thanks all! All good ideas. I ended up deciding on the Desire roller ball from McKensie Pen Works. Given the subject I like that is made in America and I am sure the Stainless Steel will hold up well. Thanks again for the suggestions!

d_bondi

Thanks all! All good ideas. I ended up deciding on the Desire roller ball from McKensie Pen Works. Given the subject I like that is made in America and I am sure the Stainless Steel will hold up well. Thanks again for the suggestions!

I have made several of the Desire fountain pens. The kits are definitely high quality. I think they will be a good combination with the deck wood. I hope you will share a few pictures when you have completed them.

bzahn

Turner's Warehouse carries 'em
Yes, I was there yesterday and saw some. They have a sale starting today. Not sure if those kits are part of it.

Darios

Yes, I was there yesterday and saw some. They have a sale starting today. Not sure if those kits are part of it.
Nice - thanks for the heads up. I just checked and they've got 10% off the Sirocco right now, so there is that at least.

Top Bottom