Need help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I have been asked to help teach a pen turning class at a local high school, the agricultural teacher wants to add wood turning to her woodworking segment. She has a small lathe but nothing to go with it. She wants to start out with pen turning. My question is, how would I go about getting a sponsor for her class. She is a great teacher and I want to give her all the help that I can give her. I want to surprise her a with a sponsor. She is going to need supplies and turning tools. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've done a LITTLE of this kind of stuff and here's what I've learned: There's going to be an outlay for "stuff" - tools, sharpening equipment (grinder), supplies, PPE, etc. You know that. First thing to do is to know what you want. Make an all inclusive "wish list". And ask folk you know who turn to review the list. Then, realize it's going to be tough to find a single sponsor (unless you're real lucky). Contact the mgr at the closest Harbor Freight, Woodcraft, Lowes, Home Depot, etc and see what they can donate. Gotta speak to someone (in person) who can decide a yes or no. After that, sit down at your computer and contact the on line sellers. Be specific with what you want: "These kids need a grinder" or "These kids need turning tools".
Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

bugradx2

Is there a local turning club or woodworking club nearby, even within an hour or two? They may be able to help with everything.

Hippie3180

Some folks make a "wish list" linked to Amazon with items they could use , this allows random strangers to donate to your cause. I don't know how it's done exactly, but you might look into that.

Other options would be a fundraiser. Some small independent suppliers/vendors may also be willing to donate/help out with supplies. Look for folks who cast their own blanks, they may have extra or one offs to donate.

keithlong

I am going to put a list here of items needed to get started with this class so if you know of any centers willing to help, please let me know. I am going to contact some larger companies to help also.
Pen mandrel, adjustable
Pen kits and bushings
Pen vice or pen chuck for drilling holes
Friction polish to start with
CA glue
Face shields
Turning socks
Pen mill for squaring up the tubes
Pen blanks
Carbide turning tools
Anything else that I am missing
Thanks guys

Hippie3180

I am going to put a list here of items needed to get started with this class so if you know of any centers willing to help, please let me know. I am going to contact some larger companies to help also.
Pen mandrel, adjustable
Pen kits and bushings
Pen vice or pen chuck for drilling holes
Friction polish to start with
CA glue
Face shields
Turning socks
Pen mill for squaring up the tubes
Pen blanks
Carbide turning tools
Anything else that I am missing
Thanks guys
There's also the option to drill on the lathe so maybe drill bits. Also, you may need to add a pen press. I think easier than to use a pen mill is sanding, you can make a jig and use hook and loop on the lathe to sand your blanks even to the tubes.

d_bondi

If you are trying to keep cost down, PSI has a Between Centers pen press you just use on the lathe. I actually prefer it over any pen press I have tried (purchased or built) as you have more control.

leehljp

Member Liaison
1. When going to local stores for asking for donations or discounts, it helps to have a letter from the organization or school describing succinctly the purpose of the class, and a general outline of needs. Your name and participation should be included. It should be addressed to store/company and have the school's name and address along with the teacher and your for contact information. Credentials like this add validity, which is what they need.

2. Ask and look for someone who is good at writing requests, grants and resumes. I have been surprised at the number of people I have come in contact with over the years who have this ability. Caution, lots of people think they are good at writing resumes but are not. But generally those who write grant requests are good. A well written request with credentials can bring great rewards and also increase your own sales base in the community.

keithlong

When school resumes after the holidays, she and I am going to have a meeting to discuss everything she will do and check into applying for a grant. I am just trying to get the ball rolling. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips

redfishsc

I drill my pen blanks on the lathe, exclusively. I don't even own a drill press and never have.

I use a jaw chuck and long nose jaws. It's easier than drilling with a drill press, and automatically self centers. Blanks don't need to be round, just reasonably square. Put a drill chuck on the tailstock, that's all there is to it really.

A jaw chuck with long nose jaws may cost a bit more than a drill press but it's one less machine to have, and owning a jaw chuck is vastly more useful to a woodturner than a drill press.

TonyL

I would call the marketing depts of Jet, Rikon, etc. (or even retailers) and tell them your plans. Would get permission from the school to post any of donations/support of the school's social medial. Maybe, the dealers could send you a banner to hang-up in the woodshop. Probably a long shot, but that is what I would try.

JimB

You should also go look at the lathe she has to be sure it works OK. Also ask her what her budget is. Years ago our local club started a program with a local High School. Our club applied for a Grant through the AAW and received enough money from the grant to buy the school 2 Jet 1221 lathes. The school budget was enough to buy other needed tools and equipment.

keithlong

I have been in contact with the teacher, and we both agree that we are going to star the classes with basic spindle turning. The lathe that was left behind is a Wen 8 inch lathe vs. She has a spur drive and live center, the one problem is this lathe is MT 1. We are working on a wish list that we are going to put on her school letterhead and send out to several vendors. So I am asking if there is anyone here that has any MT 1 accessories laying around that you not going to use, please consider donating them for this cause. I would use some of mine but all of mine are MT 2. Thanks

Top Bottom