Need Help with Selecting Small Lathe ??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FordTrax

I am trying to get a start in turning. I live in PA and have a unheated small shed/workshop. I have an older lathe I am working on getting cleaned up which has about 14"+ swing and maybe 30" bed. However, for the winter I thought I would get a small lathe for in my heated finished basement to learn the basics on while doing small projects - at the present time I really don't see me doing real large stuff anyway. But that may change and if it does I should have the old lathe ready to go by nice weather. My primary interests at this point are Pens (obviously), Bottle Stoppers, Seam Rippers, X-mas ornaments, Small Bowls, and oddly enough I would like to try Jewelry (pendants, earrings, and bangles) I think my wife and daughter would like them a lot. My issue is I don't know what lathe to go with and I wanted some feedback:

Jet 1014: 10" swing 1/2 hp with 6 belt speeds. This is an older 1014 that was never used (the owner passed away) and his wife just left it in the box. I think the quality is here and it has a great speed range about 500-4000. I have read on-line that it gets hot when run for a while. My only issue here is the 10" swing over the tool rest it will probably be like 8.5" - but as I said I am only planning on small stuff anyway. Supposedly the belt changes are pretty quick with good access. She wants $270 which does not seem bad.

Rikon 70-100: 12" Swing 1/2 hp with 6 belt speeds 1/2 hp. This is an older used 70-100 but is in great shape. I don't think it is as nicely made as the 1014 but it is good. Great speed range from 430-3900. This is a strong contender because of the 12" swing. The issue is my budget is $300 (and firm since I need some tools and like so I have $125 for that). There is a local guy that has a used one and said he might sell it but he is not sure now. He initially mentioned $250 but he may not sell it now.

Grizzly T25920: Since I live near Muncy I could go with the Grizzly and pick it up. This is 12" Swing and 3/4 hp (but I really think it is closer to 1/2). This is variable speed within 3 belt ranges. But the slow speed is 670 - which seems high to me. I can find nothing about this on the internet so I don't know if it is a good/reliable. Also, I am not sure about the lathe and the variable speed does not seem that helpful since I have to switch belts to turn, finish, and sand. There on sale at $275.

Rikon 70-105: 10" Swing 1/2hp 5 belt speeds. Woodcraft guy says going on sale for $250 for black friday. 500-3200 speed range but only 5 speeds Jet has 6. Same limitation as the Jet 10" swing. Nice machine but I could have the 1014 Jet for $10 more.

The 1014 would be my first choice for quality/reliability and the belt moves are supposedly easy, however, the Rikon 70-100 offers 2" more swing but I don't know if I really need that with the larger old lathe coming online in the spring. Any thoughts on these three lathes and any other options in the $300 or less price range?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Go with your first choice and realize it's limits. This is a lathe you will be learning on. You can always be used as a buffing station as your skills improve and you get bigger and better lathes.
As you learn, you will find what are the features you want/desire for your next lathe. So when you upgrade, you will know what to look for.

Good luck with your choice.

JimB

Grizzly closed the Muncey location at the end of October so I assume that is off your list.

Personally, I would go for a variable speed if I could. I have the Jet 1014 VS. I leave the belt on the middle setting and the VS give me enough range for everything I do. Other than that, Jet and Rikon are both excellent

You say you will be using it in a finished basement. You need to be aware that turning and sanding on the lathe are very messy. You need some type of dust collection.

monophoto

Jet, Rikon and Grizzly are all respected names.

The Jet would be a private purchase which means that you wouldn't have warranty support. It's not variable speed. So with two alternatives in about the same price range, both with electronic variable speed and both with a manufacturer or store warranty to rely on, I would tend to not consider the Jet.

I would tend to not worry as much about the swing dimension as I would the horsepower rating. As you move away from pens and bottle stoppers, horsepower starts to matter - a lot. Drilling with inadequate horsepower is really painful. And swing is worthless without horsepower - you need torque to successfully cut a 6" radius piece, and to get torque with electronic variable speed, you need horsepower. That said, you are correct that horsepower ratings are potentially flakey - that's why the manufacturers of lawnmowers and snowblowers are no longer allowed to talk about horsepower in their advertising.

csr67

The Jet, or the Rikon sound good. I have a Rikon now for 3 years continues to work great with no issues.

I agree. I'm a year in to my Rikon 70-100 and it's been flawless. Paid $399 on sale at Woodcraft and worth every penny.

Skie_M

Jet, Rikon and Grizzly are all respected names.

The Jet would be a private purchase which means that you wouldn't have warranty support. It's not variable speed. So with two alternatives in about the same price range, both with electronic variable speed and both with a manufacturer or store warranty to rely on, I would tend to not consider the Jet.

I would tend to not worry as much about the swing dimension as I would the horsepower rating. As you move away from pens and bottle stoppers, horsepower starts to matter - a lot. Drilling with inadequate horsepower is really painful. And swing is worthless without horsepower - you need torque to successfully cut a 6" radius piece, and to get torque with electronic variable speed, you need horsepower. That said, you are correct that horsepower ratings are potentially flakey - that's why the manufacturers of lawnmowers and snowblowers are no longer allowed to talk about horsepower in their advertising.

Seriously, I have a 6.5 HP Craftsman lawnmower that has a hard time cutting 5-inch high grass .... Were they using miniature ponies?

woodbutcher

I have a 10-14 Jet around 12 yrs old. Still runs as good as new. As stated above no real need to worry about the swing. It just has no real power on a larger piece. I never really noticed excessive heat from my lathe. I bought a stand and bed extension for my lathe as well. If I read correctly the Jet is new in box and may still have warranty cards ect available. Hope this helps.

WriteON

Next week (black Friday) CPO offers 15% off Jet lathes shipped. Consider a 1015 (manual belt). $479 less 15%
Brand new. Warranty. Support.

$270 for the 1014 is a steal if brand new.

Last edited:

FordTrax

Jet - 1014

This evening I picked up a barely used Jet 1014 with a Beall Buffing System for $200. I think the Beall System is about $75.

The banjo/tool rest were never on the lathe. The company wanted to use it for buffing but when they tried the Beall System had the 3 wheels to close together so it did not work. So they bought 3 separate buffing machines.

WriteON

This evening I picked up a barely used Jet 1014 with a Beall Buffing System for $200. I think the Beall System is about $75.

The banjo/tool rest were never on the lathe. The company wanted to use it for buffing but when they tried the Beall System had the 3 wheels to close together so it did not work. So they bought 3 separate buffing machines.

Great find. Have fun with it.

Fish30114

I will vote with those that say lean toward a VS if possible--and having a very low speed is helpful to me often, especially with finishing, especially if doing a CA finish--I run mine around 100 RPM's often. I am a big fan of Rikon stuff, but it sounds like your onto a potentially great deal with that Jet especially if it is brand new-if that is the case I think Jet would honor the warranty if you registered it when you got it. Even is this is going to end up being a second lathe in your shop, go for a much lathe as you can--the HP is a factor, period.

Good luck whichever way you go!

Top Bottom