Need bandsaw advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It's time to add a bandsaw to my shop. I have 1 tree of mesquite and 1 of ash waiting to be cut into blanks. I have a chainsaw but want a bandsaw for more accurate cutting. I don't intend to use blanks taller than 4" so a decent 10" bandsaw like the Rikon 10" deluxe is big enough. I don't intend to to resaw lumber but wondering if I should get a much more powerful 14". Does anybody have experience with the Rikon 10" Deluxe - it has a higher clearance than the regular 10". Have any of you made the mistake of buying a 10" only to later wish you had a 14" or does a 10" fit your needs adequately? It seems you get a lot more bang for the buck with a bigger one but it's twice the price and I'm not so sure I need to spend the extra Ben Franklins. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

The problem with the smaller band saws is that they do not have a very accurate rip gauge, or rip fence. The larger saws come with a decent rip fence, and the rip gauge fits a 3/4 inch groove on the table just like a table saw. Also, they have more power and blades are more readily available.

EricRN

I can't speak from experience because I don't own a bandsaw. But I've done a bunch of research and have settled on the Laguna 14-inch BX110 with the 1.75hp motor. Here was my thinking: I build boxes, cutting boards, and other things and needed a decent resaw capacity. This thing seemed to be the most powerful option that you could run on a regular 120V circuit and was the most highly reviewed in terms of accuracy and features when compared to equivalent models from Jet and Rikon. Plus, I've been very happy and very pleased with my Laguna lathe. I'm not an absolute brand loyalist; I'm perfectly happy to mix up brands for my tools. But it does mean something to me when I buy a product from someone and I've had a good experience. All else equal (and absent an amazing deal on something different), I'll go back to the brand I know.

I was very tempted by the 10-inch saws, especially since that was something I could add to my shop relatively quickly for the cost (as opposed to waiting for the buy the 14-inch). But I ultimately opted against it for the reasons that Elwin listed--they don't seem to be as accurate (going by reviews and online write-ups) as the larger 14-inch models. The fences and table tops also seem to be a bit more flimsy and not as well-designed. And, I assume that at some point, I will want something with a nice, large resaw capacity. I like to build boxes and humidors. The problem I have now is that I either need to pony up for pre-dimensioned 3/8-inch thick Spanish Cedar that I use for the interior, or for the 3/8-1/2 inch thick hardwoods I use for the exterior. With a bandsaw, I can by 5/4 or 4/4 rough lumber, mill it down, and resaw in half to eliminate waste. Another factor was that a full-sized 14-inch band saw doesn't really take up that much more shop space than a 10-inch bench top version. My "shop" is small (and must be shared with 2 cars) so space is always a factor for me. But the footprint of a full size table small isn't that much more than the size of a stand or cabinet that I would build to hold the 10-inch version.

So I'm going to wait and save up. But I'll be watching this thread closely to see what folks recommend.

TonyL

I own a Rikon 10" knock-off (Craftsman). I bought it 3 years ago and never opened the box until 2 months ago. It was on -sale, like $169. I am not doing any precision work with it. It does have a none standard blade length (70.5..I think), so I had 5 made for me. I will send you one (as a gift...because your a a great guy....the blades I bought I really like). It also has a non-standard table groove for the cheap miter gauge that it came with. The Gripper company doesn't make a zero clearance insert for the groove..I called them last week. They encouraged me to make one though, but that is not my thing. I was able to install the blade correctly. I think I got the table pretty square and the fence is capable of being thrown about 60 feet, 100 feet before I had my 4th shoulder surgery :), the miter gauge makes the fence look like a NASA-precision instrument . I did buy a carter tool (not Carter and son's) magnetic fence and their fasts gauges. I also own a ton of those square gizmos. Having said all of the above; I do like it for my limited non-precision work. Given, I am not a guy who knows how to fiddle around with making tools perform better, I would not recommend. Given that I am not making any precision and/or repeatable cut, I does the job for me. I have ripped some very thin section with it - all by hand (not using a any of the fences). i do believe that if I knew how to "tool"/upgrade these things the right way, it would be fine for even some precision cuts. I hope this help. BTW, despite really liking the quality of the carter magfence and fasts, i do not know how to square them to the blade quickly.

tiggere

I have been looking at bandsaws as well. The first one I looked at was the Rikon 10" but as I started looking more I am really liking the looks of the Grizzly G0555LX. It is a 14" saw with 6" cutting height and they have an extension block that can make it 12" cutting height if you ever need to go taller. The price is only a couple hundred more than the Rikon but half what the other 14" taller cut saws are going for.

moke

I have a 14" Jet that I have had fro 5 or six years. I replaced a craftsman 12". It simply did not have the power to cut and round blanks. At one point I was pushing on it while cutting a blank, I lost my grip and my hand slipped. I did not cut myself, but it became painfully obvious that I could have had a tragedy. I began looking for a new bandsaw that day. I have a Sawstop and wondered why I would have paid 3000.00 for it only to be injured on another tool.
My 14" does ok, but you still have to take it slow. I recently turned a large bowl (16") and I suppose I could have taken my time and rounded the blank on my 14" but I took it over to friends that has an 18". It was much easier. But I can't justify that kind of money for something I may use once a year.
I have not done great research on blades, but they make all the difference in the world. I had a friend on here that turned me on to Highland Hardware in Atlanta, it works great for bowls. When I needed a new one, I had lost the package, so I just called them and they knew exactly what I wanted and made me another. Maybe someone else on here knows the name of the blade, but it is well worth the money.
Good luck.....

Last edited:
My BS is probably close to 40 years old, still runs great. It's a 14" and my wife bought it for me from an outfit called "Post Tool". Now out of business but it's basically the same as the Grizzly and if I need to replace anything the Grizzly parts work fine. I've done some minor modifications to it which now allow it to use a 3/4" blade for re-sawing. I only use Timber Wolf blades as they seem to work the best and last the longest for me. There are also a lot of after market modification attachments you can get for just about any BS.

Thanks for all the replies/advice. I'm glad I asked because I was going to buy the 10" now but I think it's best to wait and buy the 14" later. With all this wood I have I'd rather have a saw with the power to cut through it without pushing it. Who knows, I may be resawing and cutting larger blanks a year or 5 from now...

@TonyL - thank you for the very kind offer! If I was going with the 10" I would've gladly taken you up on it but as I mentioned, I'll wait a bit and go with a 14". I want this to be a 1 time purchase, probably best to get the larger one.

TonyL

Thanks for all the replies/advice. I'm glad I asked because I was going to buy the 10" now but I think it's best to wait and buy the 14" later. With all this wood I have I'd rather have a saw with the power to cut through it without pushing it. Who knows, I may be resawing and cutting larger blanks a year or 5 from now...

@TonyL - thank you for the very kind offer! If I was going with the 10" I would've gladly taken you up on it but as I mentioned, I'll wait a bit and go with a 14". I want this to be a 1 time purchase, probably best to get the larger one.
Outstanding news. I am glad you are happy with your decision.

Top Bottom