Need an Air Compressor...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I need to replace my 8 gallon HF compressor which has developed a tank leak after about 25 years. It was always LOUD, but worked. Have a Bostich pancake, but it takes forever to air car tires when it's below freezing!! If I get quieter I'll use it more instead of avoiding it at all costs. (relatively quieter, the HF had to be close to 100 db--I could hear it in the house from the detached garage over 100 feet away, and all windows closed!!)

So over the past few months I've looked at the California Air Tools (CAT) 10020, which is a 10 gallon vertical, 2 hp, at 5.3cfm/90 psi. Rated at 70 db noise. Vertical would save a little floor space, and plenty of air flow HVLP sprayer too. Besides being a little pricy at $325, my only concern is the number of reviews citing early motor failures.

Yesterday I looked at the specs on CAT's 4.6 gallon luggable (model 4620) with what appears to be the same motor/pump combination and same pressure/flow specs--and the reviews are much more favorable--and mostly from trades people who use compressors often. Looked back at the 10 gallon reviews, and many of the negative ones read like homeowners who really seemed out of their element (like me I suppose!!).

Campbell Hausfeld has a "quiet" 8 gallon horizontal, but only 2.4 cfm/90 psi, which would probably get me by most of the time--but it's marginal on my impact wrench and the HVLP sprayer. I'd save $100, but over 10 years that's not that much.

I'm leaning hard on the CAT 10 gallon, but any thoughts from this august body would be appreciated. Thanks for listening!!

earl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

I have a 5 gallon CAT compressor and it is quiet. I can stand in the shop and carry on a conversation while it is running. I like it.

longbeard

I have a California air. Love it!!!
My shop is downstairs. The wife says she can't hear it when it runs.
I have the 8 gallon version

Harry

RileyD

Another recommendation for a CAT compressor. So much quieter than my previous compressor. I have the 4620AC and I'm super happy with it.

Last edited:

robutacion

Interesting that you are having air compressor problems, I'm also having some issues with mine a 6-year-old Chicago 30 litre aluminium silent single oiless motor I paid about AU$600.00 for, lately the compressor valve wouldn't shut down at 100PSI and I discover that the compressor is no longer able to reach more than 70 ish PSI so I had the adjust the shut-off valve to activate at 70 PSI.

I believe the rings are worn, this compressor has worked hard since day one, they no longer seem to make the single motor ones the replacement is a double motor and 50 litre capacity if I recall correctly, but at AU$1.175.00 + shipping/freight, I ain't crazy nor I can justify such amount so, I'm trying to find parts for it but so far nothing, the vendor says that they could repair it but it would be very expensive and would be better to put the money towards buying a new one...!:eek: yeah, you could expect them to say something like that, huh...?:mad:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273153885069?ul_noapp=true

There are other identical compressors also with oiless motors and silent for a lot less, they are the Chinese mockups off-course but I would prefer them than the old system ones that are far too noisy.

I'm not sure yet what I will do if I can't find parts and the compressor continues to lose max. pressure, the 100PSI pressure is most important to me.:frown:

I hope you find what you are after and not having to spend a small fortune,

Cheers
George

Kenny Durrant

I second the California Compressors. I cast in a spare bedroom and have a 2 gal compressor inside. I had a Campbell Hausfeld with a 2 al tank and it did a great job. It was quiet for an air compressor but when I started using 2 pots at the same time I thought it was a little slow keeping up. I bought a 3 gal Kobalt from Lowes and it was awesome keeping up but was too loud. I bought a 2 gal California Ultra Quite Air and it does a much better job supplying air and very quiet. It's a little more expensive but worth every penny. When I was looking into a quieter com. I found a video with a guy talking in an empty room with 2 different com. running while he was talking. Huge difference.

Top Bottom