Necessary Equipment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queso

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm still a rookie at this.

What equipment do I need to begin to turn pens? I'm a novice turner. Up until now I've been turning on a $99 special from Harbor Freight at my Dad's shop. I've made some nice rattles and a few ugly bowls.

As a graduation present my folks got me a Jet mini-lathe. I also own a small 3-wheel bandsaw (garage sale special) and an old grinder.

So, I'd like to make two lists.

1. Mandatory items to turn pens correctly.
2. Nice to have stuff.

Here's what I have on the lists.

1. Mandrels (#2MT)
Pen kits
pen mill - to square blank to the tube, right?
sand paper
micro mesh
super glue - is there more than one kind used?
finishes

Table saw

Also, how do you drill the blanks? Most small drill presses don't have the clearance to drill through a 6 inch blank.

Again, any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. BTW, I'm moving next week to suburban Detroit, so if anyone on this site is in the area, and would be willing to let me observe and learn I sure be grateful.

Paul sends...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Your list is pretty complete for a start-up. Generally you'll be cutting the blanks to smaller lengths before drilling them but a drill press (floor model) with a long throw would be excellent.

Generally you'll want a 3" throw minimum. Mine doesn't go that far so I have to set my blank in the drilling jig (home made), drill to the maximum depth, turn off the drill press, insert a block under the jig (making sure the drill bit is still in the center of my hole), turn on the drill press and finish the hole.

If I have a lot of them to do I use two drill bits. One in my drill press and one in a cordless drill. I start the hole and make it about 80-90% of the way through on the drill press and then clamp the jig on top of a scrap piece on the workbench and finish the hole with the hand drill. Just be very gentle with the hand drill as only the pre-existing hole is guiding it.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderfully frustrating (make that rewarding) world of penturning.

Daniel

Paul,
for list one I would add
1.Wood/pen blanks of course.
2.Bushings for kit or kits
3.drill bit/s for kit/s. as many of these are metric i simply bought
them
as needed.
4.Epoxy or Poly Glue unless you are going to glue the tubes into the
blanks with super glue(CA) then you will need Gap Filling CA.
I think that would get you your first pen complete including the items you listed above and assuming you have the turning tools etc. that you need.

Sorry but list two will never be complete is entirely dependent on your personal bent and tastes. table saw, chop saw, band saw, jigs, brackets, clamps, bands, at least 23 various finishes, Laser engraver. you get the idea.

As for the drilling. for the standard Slimline you only need to be able to drill about 2-1/4 inches. you can drill each barrel seperatly. the longest barrels I think are around 3-1/2 inches. this may be a problem still for the small drill presses but look for at least 3-1/2 inches of quill travel and you will be O.K.

jimr

A short time ago I was in your exact position, although I do have a well equipped woodworking shop. I assume your pen kits came with tubes, metal pen parts, drill bits and bushings. The only thing not on your number one list, and you may have one, is a 60 degree live center for the tailstock to tighten into the mandrel.
I started out measuring two sections of the blanks with the brass tubes. I used a chop saw to cut the ends as perfectly square as possible. I do have a floor drill press so quill travel was not a problem. I remember vividly making my first pen, it was of sasafrass wood and I was so excited that I totally forgot about applying any finish before I put it all together. I will keep that pen forever. Believe me, it won't take but a dozen or so pens before you will be trying all kinds of designs, mixing pen parts, different finishes, et. Pen making is FUN

Daniel

Jim,
Good catch on the live center. It is suprising how hard it is to answer that type of question. there are so mnay things that I have collected in teh shop over time that I no longer think about. but When they where not there it was soooooo obvious.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Go to the penturning instructions on my Website (link below signature) for a some discussion on the tools you will need to turn pens. You can get by with less, but what I am showing is a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom