Neat trick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hexhead

I have a pen wizard and I was doing a rope cut. It was a hassle trying to get those pins in the holes. I removed the three Philip screws holding the circle on. I then took a countersink and made a handle for it and proceeded to lightly countersink every single hole. This made it a whole lot easier for the pin to find the hole. But on to the neat trick

you have to be pretty much a contortionists to get your fingers in a position to move the pins to the next holes. What I tried seemed to work. I just take the crank and turn it until the plate with the holes in it are in a position that's easy to reach. Then I move it one or two holes whatever it calls for, then I turn the crank until it reaches the beginning stop, set the Dremel tool down and start to cut the other flute. So far it's worked great and it sure beats trying to get your eyeball where the holes are and try to move the pin to the next hole with your fingers all twisted.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

That's what I do too, it's a pain otherwise. Did you put a modification of paper with guide markings for the holes, so that they are not misplaced. That was about the third thing I did to mine. See the thread by Bob Hewson dated 02/04/2009 for more details, if you've not read it, very good tutorial on setting it up. I made one and put clear plexiglass about 1/16 over it. On the depth control, you are right there is a spring under the screw head to keep tension on it.
Kryn

Last edited:

Hexhead

I looked at bob's page nice work, great pictures.

I found out how to make rope patterns better (for me) instead of using the beall bit or a ball cutter I use a the same bit I do polygons with. I move the bit into the blank via the depth setting screw and them do the sprail cut. the bit is set up just like your turning a polygon but the gears and everything else is set to do spirals. Mine come out really nice doing it this way. I used 4 clicks.

Dickie0011

Hello, Please HELP.... I've got my Beall Pen Wizard setup, Bob Hewson's Color Wheel Pen Hole Mark secure, all holes counter sunk. I must not be understanding, where do I find the pen hole moves to match the wheel, what are the pen advancements to match the designs.
If I wanted to make the multi spiral cut, do i move 2, 3, 4, etc; notches each time ?, where do I find how many moves I make on the wheel, I'm tired of wasting wood & brass blanks ? Thankx for any help.....

KBs Pensnmore

Hello, Please HELP.... I've got my Beall Pen Wizard setup, Bob Hewson's Color Wheel Pen Hole Mark secure, all holes counter sunk. I must not be understanding, where do I find the pen hole moves to match the wheel, what are the pen advancements to match the designs.
If I wanted to make the multi spiral cut, do i move 2, 3, 4, etc; notches each time ?, where do I find how many moves I make on the wheel, I'm tired of wasting wood & brass blanks ? Thankx for any help.....

One of the first things that anyone should do before attempting to do a "Pen Blank" is to practice to get to know what the outcome will be. I put a 1/4" hole in the "blank" cut and turned to the right size, so that it is set up correctly. I mark the gearing, spacings etc. on it and take notes for future reference. Don't use your good blanks, unless it is plentiful or has unique working properties. Not all woods work the same!!!!!
When it comes to polishing, the Beall buffing system works great, use a sanding sealer on them first.
I forget how many holes are in the wheel, but if you want 2,3,4 or however many facets (sides) on the pen, divide that number into the number of holes in the wheel ie. if 24 on the wheel and you want 6 facets, 6 into 24 equals 4 holes.
Take light cuts only, leave on the setting of depth of cut until all sides are done, then alter setting to get a deeper cut and repeat until you have the effect you want.
To be able to reuse the brass tubes turn off the old wood!!!!

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, ask here, someone will come to the rescue.:biggrin:
Kryn

Top Bottom