Names of pen parts...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dthayer

I know I've seen at least one thread about this before but, at the time, I wasn't very interested in the subject. Of course, now that I am, I can't find anything (I seem to always be putting in the wrong keywords in a search and either find every thread ever posted or none :confused:).

When talking with a prospective client I sometimes have difficulties describing to them the parts of a pen. I don't like using the term "kit" at all so I typically call the metal bits as a whole, the "hardware". This seems to work -- most of them get what I'm talking about -- but there seems to be more of a breakdown in communication when talking about the wood/resin/whatever (the stuff wrapped around the tube(s) :frown:). I typically refer to this as the "body" of the pen but this poses problems when trying to differentiate the parts of a multiple tube pen.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what terms you folks use.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sometimes there is a discussion as to what the "nib" is; some say the nib is only on fountain pens, and technically they may be correct, but colloquially it can refer to fountain pens or ballpoint/roller ball pen ends.

For me, the body is the barrel - the upper or lower barrel.

keithbyrd

Metal parts are called components not kit
2 Piece capped pen:
Cap - includes the clip
Barrel - includes the writing end
NIB - the writing tip - some purists will say this is only the fountain pen terminology but I use it for all pens - nib-writing point for me!
2 Piece pen - ie ballpoint or pencil - non capped nib
upper barrel - the part with clip
lower barrel - has the writing point - nib

Top of the upper barrel or cap is the finial
Decorative piece in center of pen is centerband
the part that twists for extending the refill is the transmission
the part that operates on a click pen is the click mechanism

Top Bottom