nails in wood floor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes pens

I just took up the wall to wall carpet in our bedroom so we could have hardwood floors instead. When I did, I found out the previous owner had hammered nails into the parkay flooring. They are not even finishing nails. They are common nails with the big head on them. Anyone have an idea how to remove them? Dynamite? I was thinking of sinking them and then filling the holes some how. Not a great solution but none the less, it is one. I also though about drilling down through the center of the nail so as to remove the head of nail and then just have a tiny (yeh right!) hole to fix (okay 30 or 40 holes).
Mike [V][xx(]:(:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Parquet is hardwood floor.

I've seen some who replaced old damaged parquet tiles with other tiles from the same room that are "not too visible". Might be worth looking into if the tiles can be replaced without damaging the adjoining pieces.

Drilling may work too...if you can use wood plugs it may be your best option.

Good luck!

jwoodwright

Have you considered a plug cutter? Center nail under plug cutter,cut around nail, split away "plug" from nail, use a punch and drive nail through. Use plug cutter to make a replacement plug...

Any nail pulling could damage the surrounding wood...

vick

Would be a pain and you would have to get matching wood but how about. Remove nails chisel out small rectangular section with hole and replace the whole strip.

Thumbs

It might be good to find out why the nails were put there in the first place. Maybe the parquet pieces had just come loose or maybe it was something more serious that needs investigating. I think resetting them might be a better idea causing less damage if you can fill the holes with some thing that will match. It might be the least conspicuous method. FWIW. Good luck.

Daniel

there is a good chance that recessing will be impossible. I have to pre drill to drive common finish nails through hardwood flooring. of the recessed head is not deep enough the filler will be to thin to stay in the patched area.
patching with anything will not really match.
using wood plugs also will not really match unless you get yourself a huge number of plugs to choose from and then match eash one as closely as you can, even then it will show.
the only real fix is to replace the pieces. all depends on what you are willing to live with. and how much work and expense you want to go to. drilling out the nail and putting in a wood plug would be the best patch though.

Gary Max

Maybe that's where you put the throw rug.
Hey I and getting lazy.
Like someone else said----why in the heck are the nails there in the first place.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Are you intending to install hardood on the parguet flooring or use the parquet flooring as the "hard wood" floor?
Are the nails set in any pattern if it is the latter?

mikes pens

I am planning on just leaving the parquet flooring exposed. The nails are in a random pattern. I believe they were put in the floor to get rid of squeaks. Hey I got an idea, I could put happy faces on them and have happy faces all over the floor.[:)][:)][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom