my wood gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cd18524

Picked this up today.
2006620098_osage%202.jpg

Osage Orange. The best part, there is a lot more.

This came with it. A nice size burl.
200662001321_burl2.jpg

Same burl, different view.
20066200146_burl3.jpg

This wood is from a golf course my brother works for.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cd18524

A burl is a sound, hard, woody excrescence or protuberance that forms on the bole or a branch of trees of nearly every species. It is more or less rounded or horizontally ridged, with no protruding limbs, twigs, stubs, or indicators thereof. It is a product of vastly multiplied cell division and growth at point of occurrence, the wood is characterized by wildly contorted grain which may be combined with "bird's eye" - the result of aborted adventitious buds.

chitswood

Originally posted by cd18524
<br />A burl is a sound, hard, woody excrescence or protuberance that forms on the bole or a branch of trees of nearly every species. It is more or less rounded or horizontally ridged, with no protruding limbs, twigs, stubs, or indicators thereof. It is a product of vastly multiplied cell division and growth at point of occurrence, the wood is characterized by wildly contorted grain which may be combined with "bird's eye" - the result of aborted adventitious buds.
Yup, listen to this guy[:)]

low_48

I betcha there are some eyes in there[8D]. Those darn osage burls just don't send the eyes that deep into the log. I've cut off alot of osage burls, always thinking I was RICH (pun intended), but am always disappointed with the yield. If you haven't cut much osage Chris, I must caution you about the sap wood. The bugs just love it, it shrinks about 50 times more than the heartwood. I've had blanks almost bend 45 degrees from the sapwood only on one side, and when it dried it pulled the blank over. I also turned a 20" bowl years ago. It had a sapwood crescent on the rim in one spot. When the bowl dried it looked like it had a pouring spout on that one side.
That's some beautiful stock, great haul!!!!!![:p]

Rich

Rifleman1776

<br />A burl is a sound, hard, woody excrescence or protuberance that forms on the bole or a branch of trees of nearly every species. It is more or less rounded or horizontally ridged, with no protruding limbs, twigs, stubs, or indicators thereof. It is a product of vastly multiplied cell division and growth at point of occurrence, the wood is characterized by wildly contorted grain which may be combined with "bird's eye" - the result of aborted adventitious buds.

Cain't ye jest say a bump on a tree wat make purty wod? [:p]

angboy

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />

Cain't ye jest say a bump on a tree wat make purty wod? [:p]

Thanks for translating for me Frank! I know I sometimes don't speak wood too good! [:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom