My take on bullet pens (long and rambling)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Boyd

I went back searching thru past posts looking for info on how to do these things and really didn't garner much information. Lots of pics but no "meat":D I could not figure out how ya'll used slimline kits to make these things. The tubes are not long enough! And the are too small in diameter. I decided to start at the nib end and work to the clip. First I had to make the tube fat enough to fit a 300 winmag. I used a piece of metal rod from Lowes. First I drilled a hole a hair smaller than the o.d. of a 7mm tube. Then I turned the o.d. .002 larger than the opening on the shell and parted it off. This bushing was then pressed onto the 7mm tube. My next step was to press in the pen nib into the tube. Now to figure out how to make all of this work with the casing. Eagle had posted something about a tenon and at first I thought he was talking about splitting 2 extra casings for the upper barrel. He showed me different after I completed the 4 casings that I had[V] What I did before I got that info was to drill out the primer end of the casing with my 7mm drill. When the tranny is installed and the whole assembly is inserted to the casing the clearance is really close. I figured with short wood on a full length tube this thing might work. And it did! But it looked strange with that small upper barrel. I made another but this time I cut off a small length of tube and slipped it over the tranny first and used a full length upper barrel. Now we're talking:)
Now how to make all of the work with a 243 casing. The only challenge here was making the nib fit. All of the pics I saw did a lousy job or used actual bullets. I did not have any bullets. Do I make the nib smaller? No cause it would screw up the plating. Make the casing bigger but how? Well I found a new use for the tube insertion tool from PSI. Stick it in the hole and give it a few good smacks on the workbench and presto, a good fit for the nib!:D Make some bushings to fit and press them on the tube and follow what I did on the 300 casings. Here is how they turned out. The first pic is of the 300 winmag. The short ballel just does'nt work. The finial is from a 7mm round top european.
300WinMagSmall.jpg

On the 243 shells I used regular slimline parts throughout.
243Small.jpg

And a close-up fo the nib fit.
243closeupSmall.jpg

Comments and sugestions and alteratives welcome:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Nicew job on the pens.I guess there isn't really a need for a turtorial, is there?[:D]

After I got tired of playing around with cutting custom tubes I ordered extra Euro tubes from Woodturningz.
The extra length is perfect for the 7 mm kits.
As far as your method goes if you are satisfied that's all that counts, right?
As far as expanding the nib end on smaller calibers, I have done it and don't care for the "flare"
30 caliber works great so unless I have a request for a different caliber that has to be retrofitted I try to use the caliber that fits the components I am using.
To each his own.
I have seen pens on the INTERNET made by a guy in Canada.
He sell them for $6.99 & $9.99. He uses The slug as the nib.
That is the main reason I don't bother with the slug.
If some one wants a bullet that's a pen they can get one from him for a lot less than I can make them.
If someone wants a pen that has a casing as part of the writing instrument, perhaps with a Parker refill or in Gold or Rhodium, that's what I make.[^]

Jim Boyd

No tutorial? Ya right![:D] I can use all of the pointers I can get and you just gave me one that went right over my head when I was doing the pens. Using 7mm euro tubes. I have some of the round top european kits. I even used the round tops from 2 of them. Did I snap to the longer tubes? Doh![:p][:D] I'm on my way to get some more casings and will go with your tenon style. It seems like your way would be more consistant for getting a good fit between the top barrel and the casing. I also had second thoughts on the flaring on the 243 nib end. The taper on the PSI tube insertion tool must be gradual enough to make it work. I know the taper is there but it is undetectable to my eye. Maybe the steel bushing I pressed in helped too.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />When you drill out the end of the casing, are drilling it with a 7mm drill or something larger?
IF you think about it the hole in the end of the casing needs to be large enough to accomodate the tenon on the upper barrel, right?
Jim was referring to a picture he asked for in another post yesterday
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10053

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom