My Studio in a Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tea Clipper

I know nothing about cameras and such, so after telling a co-worker what I wanted to do, he gave me some ideas. I went with his recommendations and once I received everything, I brought it all in to work so he could give me a demo.

Studio in a Box, $71.24 with free shipping from Amazon. I really like this. It seems to work well, and it folds up nice and compact for storage. The lights do get pretty hot though...
200512854646_IMG_0002e.jpg

And here's a few pics taken on my new Canon A520:
($168 at Butterflyphoto)

Jr.Statesman in Blue BEB: I should have used the grey background...
200512854822_Capture_00002e.jpg

Ligero in Chechen Burl:
200512854933_IMG_0019e.jpg

The included batteries started to die on me and while I was in such a hurry I didn't realize I placed the cap upside down after previously knocking it over. Doh! [}:)]

The highlight on the nib is from one of the overhead lights, not the studio box. My friend also recommends I get rechargeable batteries. [}:)] Anyway, I need to practice more, but with his help the above photos look pretty good, imho. :D

Oh... finding a manual camera nowadays is getting tough. I had to pass up some of the newer cameras because they are mostly semi-automatic - and unfortunately, the camera doesn't always pick the right settings. damhikt.[}:)]

Finally, the pens are glossy but you can't really tell from the pics. I'm not sure if I want to show specular highlights or not. What do you guys think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Hey Ron you are sure getting better at the pic thing. I see folks with $50.00 lathes and $800.00 cameras???? Glad to see you did not break the bank.

wayneis

I think that you need to show exactly what the customer will recieve. Say they pick out something that has kinda a matt looking finish and when they recieve it the thing glows in the dark its so shinny. Most of the time its only a matter of shooting at an angle to get the shine to come through in a photograph. Also if you have a off white background you can get some real nice shots.

Wayne

rduncan

OK, someone is in for it!!! [:)]

After seeing this thread it prompted me to buy the same thing. Ah, what the heck....it's only money. I'll call it my Christmas gift to myself.

tinker

I just bought a Canon FT-QL off ebay for $65.00 total. Three lenses included wide angle and telephoto and a doubler. I am looking forward to setting up a photo box soon.
I can't afford one of those $1,000.00+ digital cameras, so I figure back to film for the wrestling pictures and then pens.
I like your box set up, makes a great photo.

Tea Clipper

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Nice setup but I don't like the fabric pattern on the background (maybe it is just me?).

The moire effect is an artifact from the resizing of the picture. The full size pic shows a non-descript background. Although, some closeups that I did, will show the weave of the fabric.

Johnathan

Just ordered this also from Amazon. I can't wait to see it and try it out. A little more expensive than doing it myself but time is money and I'd rather spend it turning a pen![:D] Thanks for posting this.

Tea Clipper

I have played with it for a few months now and I'm glad I bought it. I appreciate how it folds up nice and neat and also that it is a complete setup with tripod and all. The background became a problem as illustrated in the above pics, so I'm trying different replacement materials. Lately, I've been using some stiff paper that I bought from Walmart sold as scrapbook paper. The one I bought has 25 different colors, but it seems I keep digging out the light gray one... I chose the solid colors for now, but they also had metallic and patterned paper...lot's to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom