My mediocre BASH segmented pen entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sly Dog

Sly Dog

I don't post a lot of pens but I thought I would come out of the weeds with my entry in the segmented pen contest and see if you all thought it was an okay design. I'm not unhappy about my finish after seeing the other great entries. I liked the idea of hiding the segmented part in a pretty wood like Koa and the challenge for me was aligning the segments well during glue up which I did by drilling a 1/4 inch center hole in each segment and using a 1/4 20 bolt for alignment and pressing. Not the greatest degree of difficulty for the skills of this group, I know, but an expansion for me. I was pleased that a Zen tube was the perfect length for the blank and did not require that I cut a partial segment to fit the tube. C and C welcome. Russ
DBC75F80-ABBF-4B54-A672-2F4ECF0AA99F.jpeg
489A473F-C324-4436-961A-D61217E59336.jpeg77B197FE-C8FC-48AD-88E7-54CA80C50E39.jpeg878AA855-3B03-4F64-B41D-4E49BA815047.jpegC0B5AB04-7013-472B-A3DA-C76181C74C3B.jpegD43BE4C2-EEAE-4865-86AE-9E9CD5A095BA.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very beautiful pen, Russ !!! . Thanks for showing !!!

I appreciate the detailed pics of the process ..... Hmmm ..... I wonder if I could do something like that ?

Nedge

Nice looking pen and finish Russ. We're you able to make another pen blank out of the 1/2 Koa and 1/2 segmented pieces you cut in half. I like the idea of drilling holes and using a bolt to create the blank.

jttheclockman

Not so mediocre because you combined a couple different elements of segmenting into one blank . looks from here. you need to do more.

wood128

Great looking pen Russ . Your work is outstanding. The different 3 contrasting woods does the job . plus the veneer. I might just suggest smaller pieces . Good to see so many pen makers doing segmented work .

Sly Dog

I like it.. You say you weren't happy with the finish, but I see nothing wrong with it. I have seen segmented "wave" before and "brick", but this is a first that I've seen as a mix. Nice.
I shouldn't have written "finish" - I just meant where I finished in the voting. As Steve Martin once said: "Some people have a way with words. Others not have way." 😉 Thanks for your comments!

Sly Dog

Looks great to me! I really like the way the gentle curve contrasts the hard corners of the brick segments. What did you use between the segments?
Thank you - I just used Sauers & Co. dyed veneer - light green mostly and black on one half.

Dale Lynch

I agree with the others about combining two different segmenting styles.Your workmanship is clean and tight.It was my 3rd favorite.

Sly Dog

Thank you John, Ken, Ed, Dean, Dale, Todd, Joe, Joe, Mike, Chad, Mal...yes, smaller segments are in the future. Appreciate all your encouragement. Ken knows I made his segmenting jig recently and I'm having fun with that.
With the other blank I made a Gatsby Grande - pictured here with its sib.
AFB6E59D-3F72-4026-9166-CD2298F5A218.jpeg

It was a fun and inspiring BASH. G'night!

TDahl

I will have to concur with everyone else. That was a fantastic pen. I really liked the combined segmenting styles.

Alan Morrison

Russ, you do your skill a disservice by calling that 'mediocre'. I appreciate all the thought and work that went into making that pen.
Well done.

Carl Fisher

This one had my vote in the contest. I love out of the box thinking on segments and adding in the half pen solid set it apart from the others in my mind.

Well done.

Kcimdrib

This really is a work of art and well done you. Its funny because whoever receives this pen will never understand the work that went into making it.
Its only really appreciated bye those of us who have actually attempted to make such a pen.
The simplicity of the kit shows your work off well.

Top Bottom