My latest fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I've been wanting to make myself another FP for quite a while, but have been preoccupied with bowls of late. This weekend I finally got around to it, and here is the result.

P1020369.jpg

P1020361.jpg

P1020363.jpg

It's a big fellow, 6" with the cap on, used an El Grande nib and section, and solid sterling cap band. The blank is called "Mountaineer's Pride", which I thought would more closely resemble a vintage Parker blank now known as "True Blue", but it's not quite it. The shape is modeled on a Wahl-Eversharp "Equipoised" from the early '30's. Cap threads were done with the group buy tap and die set.

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Thanks to all for the comments.

George---I made the cap band assembly from black acrylic. The bottom "ring" forms a tenon which has two steps, one for the silver, another for the top ring at .5", which also seats it into the cap. It's a tricky little thing to make. I tried swaging with the Beall chuck, but it didn't seem to be having any effect, and I didn't want to risk damaging the threads by forcing it too much. I might give it another try with a pair of narrow rings - maybe this one was too wide to "crush".

Dan

Dan_F

This thread is kind of like a fishing bobber, slowly sinks, then pops back up every now and then. Thanks for the additional remarks. Here is a writing sample, one of Lou's nibs which I reground to cursive italic.

P1020372.jpg

Boyd, give me a call when you get a chance.

Dan

Top Bottom