Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CameronPotter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronPotter

Hi,

Being fairly new to this whole thing...

Here is my latest stuff.

This is my first <s>Mont Blanc</s> Euro pen and I think that I was a little too careful in getting the centre ring right...

In the end I didn't glue it as it was a perfect press fit.[:I]

The bowl was a "reject" given to me by a mate to practice my bowl turning on.

The little dark line is why it was a reject. I finished it with walnut oil and so it is completely usable - i.e. can be used for foods and small salads etc. with little effect other than developing a nice patina over years of use.

:D

Cam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

If I remember correctly, someone here had made some invisible tubes (and I'm sure I do remember correctly b/c I took some abuse on a thread about it [:D]), maybe those were used?

I'm impressed with the finish- it doesn't overpower the pen- so subtle you can hardly tell it's there, yet I'm sure it protects the pen quite well! I'm also impressed you were able to press it together and get everything lined up- I always have trouble getting pieces like this perfectly lined up- it's just hard to keep track of them and keep them to where I can see they're in a straight line!
[}:)][;)][:D]

airrat

From everyone else's post I am sure you can see they didnt show up. There is a section here on posting pictures. Might look at that to see if you can figure out what happened.

CameronPotter

Yeah, yeah... So I forgot to do the attachment...

I was sure that I had remembered, but I was trying to post this on another site at the same time (which was giving me troubles) and I must have forgotten about the attachments. [8)]

Oh well.

Here they are now, but after all of the positive comments, maybe the post was better the way it was!! [;)]

Cam

ps Please ignore the crumbs on the bench, I only noticed those after I had taken the photo...

2006228214822_Pen_and_Bowl.jpg

2006228214835_Pen_and_Bowl_2.jpg

Dario

Reject? That wood??? It's got good figure looks like quilting and some crotch area!

Good job on both :). BTW careful using the name Mont Blanc...somehow they don't want us using that on our kit pens [;)]. I think PKMONT or EURO are the accepted name now.

CameronPotter

Thanks.

I really liked the Euro kit, but it is a much heavier pen than I am used to.

As for the bowl I am thrilled with how it ended up - it was an amazing piece of wood... Sometimes you just get lucky I guess! [:D]

CameronPotter

Thanks for the tip Dario. I had not heard that you couldn't call it MB as that is what the kit was called.

From now on it will be a Euro.

As for the wood a mate gave me two "reject blanks". One was huon pine and was also very nice (although I had to turn a fair bit of material off to avoid some fairly serious pitting. This one had the crack which is why he thought it was "unsellable". Personally, I don't even mind the crack. When I showed my parents, I actually had to point it out as they thought that it was just a natural feature of the wood.

Anyway, I am a happy turner. [8D]

Cam

angboy

They are a bit easier to see now! I still don't see a dark line on the bowl though, so you must have dealt with it well- certainly doesn't look like a reject to me!

Are the crumbs from what you were eating out of the bowl? [:D]

I think probably the whole trouble you had with the picture was b/c you were being unfaithful to the IAP, trying to post on another site... [}:)][}:)]

The pen is very nice- what kind of blank is that? It looks pretty funky! Don't know what you did as far as finishing it, but it sure came out nice and shiny.

CameronPotter

Well to be fair, I started on the other site by looking up some bandsaw info, then went to turning, then to pen turning and Darley (Serge) redirected me here... Long way of saying I was being unfaithful by posting it here as I started there first!! [;)]

No, the bowl was great wood, it was more to say that somehow I ended up with this blank for free (generous guy).

The pen blank is a store bought blank of marbled acrylic.

See here for a before shot:
http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=80_15000_15120_15640_15780

of course they are all slightly different...

I got the finish very easily. I used wet and dry up to 1500 grit then used EEE by U-Beaut which is a polishing paste. Marvellous stuff. It works on wood before the final finish and on plastics AS the final finish.

Looks like I am posting another link...

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm

The stuff from this company is excellent!! I have already checked and they have suppliers over in the States, so I don't need to stock up before coming over. [:D]

Cam

angboy

Hey Cam, I went to the ubeaut website and they have a product I'd love to try. Could you send me some? Everyone should go to their website and click on "WOODTURNERS WAXTIK" to see more about it. Looks like a great product! [}:)][}:)][;)][;)]

CameronPotter

Yeah, nice guy... He first corrected a few things I was doing wrong in bowl turning, then gave me a few blanks to practice on. He didn't expect anything in return either, although I managed to force a 6-pack of beer on him. [;)]

As for the waxstik - well it is an Australian company!

The importer to the States is:
PA - Philadelphia
PENN STATE INDUSTRIES (RETAIL ONLY)
2800 Comly Road, Philadelphia, PA 19154
Customer Svc & Orders Toll-Free: 800 377-7297 Tech Support Toll-Free: 800 656-4767
Local phone: 215 676-7609 Fax: 215 676-7603
Web Site: www.pennstateind.com
E-mail: psind@pennstateind.com
Retail suppliers of Shellawax,
Shellawax Cream & EEE-Ultra Shine.

The retailers in the States are:
MI - Ionia
NUFFSAID WOODWORKING

MI - Grand Rapids
WOOD SOURCE, INC

MO - Pittsburg
THE WOODEN POST