My interpretation of the Bruce Boone pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

OK, not quite. I still need to get myself set up to do spirals! (hint hint Bruce!) :)

But, considering it was about the seventh pen I've made, and the first attempt at a base, I don't think it came out too bad. It's a purpleheart desk set that I made for a friend at work for her birthday next week. Over all, I'm pretty pleased, although it was my first attempt turning something of the size of the base, and the first time using any inlay material, and I think I can do both better. The inlay was a pain; I used thin CA at first with the black embossing powder, and I think I'd be better off with medium or thick, this way it doesn't dry quite so quickly. Had to skew-down the pen and base once the inlay was dry to get off all the rogue pieces of embossing powder, but over all it isn't bad.

I finished both the pen and the base the same way, although the base looks better in this picture. I sanded using Abramesh through the entire range, then MM through the entire range. Drilled a two-step hole for the pen tip, and sanded the inside. Did the inlay and turned down as described above, then re-sanded with MM. 2 coats of BLO/CA using thin CA, then 2 coats of some shellawax. Let the shellawax cure for a day or two, then a coat of TSW which was buffed using a little buffing wheel I got at Harborfreight. Comments/criticism welcome.

April%209%20and%2010%202005%20Desk%20Set.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Looks just like Bruce's pen, [:D] From the pen to the base. Move over
Bruce Boone, can't wait to see your technical drawings [:D]

All kidding aside Jim, for only your seventh pen, and not having made a base before, you did a fine job, keep up the good work. This will make a real nice desk set. I think this is something we need to make more of.

JimGo

Woodscavenger, you wouldn't believe how hard I had to work to get the anodizing to take a wood grain! Let's see Bruce match THIS work! :)

Thanks for the kind words!

I agree, the pen could use more definition. Next time, I plan on doing it without the finial at the top, this way it can have a taper that matches the bottom. I also have some other designs in mind for the base.

JimGo

Jack,
It supports the pen without tipping over, if that's what you mean. I used a collet chuck, which left a recess in the bottom, and I thought about gluing a few washers or other pieces of metal to the bottom if I could find something that would work. Bruce actually recommended a low melting point alloy, but the only stuff I could find that was a reasonable price had a fairly high lead content, which makes me nervous, especially since the recipient has an infant at home and I don't want her going home with lead on her hands. Since it stands on its own, though, I think I'll just leave it as it is! :)

Bruce, sorry, I didn't see your post! No, it really isn't requiring any extra weight. I think the diameter of the base is large enough that the weight of the pen (which is pretty light) is spread over a large enough surface area that it doesn't throw off the base enough to tip over. Plus the pen sits relatively straight in the base, which means most of the force is directly down. I had the pen in and out of the base a few times, without any problems. Hopefully she'll have the same luck!

wayneis

Jim you could fill the base with bb's and then glue felt covered cardboard to cover it and add scratch protection for any tables that it will be sitting on.

Wayne

JimGo

Simple slimline, without the CB or clip. Next one will be without the finial, too. I think it truncates the form too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom