my gift to Dcbluesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pete00

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

“A Touch of New Englandâ€

This is the first in a series of gifts entitled A Touch of New England.

This pen and holder were made in February 2006 from a piece of drift wood found on the shore at Hampton Beach NH on November 2005.

One day my wife and I were walking along the shore line. We came upon this 4 foot long silver gray piece of wood lying on the sand. This wood seemed to cry out “I’m too good to be just drift wood†so we picked it up and put it into the Jeep to take home.

How did this piece of wood end up on the beach?
How long had it been drifting in the ocean?
If it could talk what stories would it tell of its adventure?

Did it gracefully grow old and fall into the sea?
Perhaps a storm came along and ripped it from the shore.
Is this the only piece of the mighty tree left?

Where is the rest, a house, a fine piece of furniture or unthinkably used as fire wood. This was a noble and proud tree in the beginning, but now a piece of drift wood.

So this is a story about a piece of wood that refused to give up and just disappear. It swam aimlessly around in the sea hoping to find land again and once more be a proud mighty tree.

Although not as big as it once was in size, it still stands tall and proud.

I present to you â€The Mighty Oakâ€

2006222171549_driftwoodsm.jpg

The piece of drift wood. The pen base came from the left end.

2006222171751_driftwood4sm.jpg

2006222171951_driftwood1sm.jpg

Bottom
2006222172013_driftwood2sm.jpg

The other side

2006222172032_driftwood3sm.jpg

The Making of
This was my first attempt at, a closed end pen, a tapered end, and custom center bands.
I failed on the center bands. The kit was a slim line from rockler with 2 gold center bands instead of one (extra part from my “oops†supply).

Drift wood cutting
I think this is a piece of oak, it weighed a ton. I thought it was because it was wet, but after drying a while it was still is heavy. I didn’t see any difference in cutting drift wood versus regular wood. I had no problems with sand, seaweed or mermaids.

The only problem that came back to haunt me was it was still wet. I didn’t take this into account when turning and measuring. As the wood was drying it keep changing shape. On one of the colder days as I was using the belt sander steam would come from the bottom of the wood. It smelled just like seaweed, nice smell. You would have to know what this smells like to appreciate it.

Failed at making separate custom center bands, nothing fit or looked right. A few times I almost had an intergraded center band looking good, but back to the changing shape problem.

While I was trying different approaches I “invented the wheel†and found an easy way to make the top part on the pen fit over the bottom. Like a mortise and tenon. Soon as I get a few pics ill post a note about that. I only had to help the knot hole accept the pen, but I was ready with the drill, coffee grinds, old bark and ca to touch up incase I needed it.

Tapered end
I had problems working the tapered end. Tried to turn details and center band. Made home made mandrel out of a ¼ rod to hold the stock. It turned ok but it always seemed to be out of round. It took me a while and a few pieces of wood to figure out the problem. I would turn the taper and add a few details. Then go back to it a couple days later and it was out of round. Reason wet wood was drying and changing shape in between turnings. All the details from the last turning went away trying to straighten things out.

Surprisingly as it dried the wood was really dry. As I was turning a bunch of small cracks came out, so I hit it ca a few times. Once I thought id stabilize the hole so I cut a 6 inch piece, drilled it 4 inches down, and poured thin ca in. Thinking well this wont crack, the ca came out the bottom and glued my finger to block, another scar to brag about.

Finishing the base was the hardest. I wanted to keep the silver gray look, but it didn’t look right along side of the finished pen. Tried a few oils and polish but nothing seemed to be right. To get a fresh view of the base I decided to take a few pictures to see what it looks like. I’ve been using this trick for a long time to see what my projects looks like. It lets you look at it through different eyes. The lighting I used gave the picture a golden darker tone. It looked better than the original color, so I tried to make the real piece look like the picture.

After experimenting a while, I ended up using Old English lemon oil for golden color and some Hut friction polish (without the friction), just buffed it with old shoe brush. Then I sanded away darker spots to bring out the golden tone. I repeated this process a few times. Next I added a small touch of Deft spray and more buffing on drill press. I did this a few times as well. I have four more pieces that have knot holes, so we’ll do a few more and try again. This was actually fun, looking forward to making another one.

So if you find a stranded piece of wood somewhere yelling out for help, bring it home.
You could have your own Mighty Oak.

thanks for taking the time to read this, comments and suggestions welcome........pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Pete - this makes the desk set even more meaningful. It's worthy of being printed (Done!) and saved in my file (Also done!) with warranties and other important documents related to my pen collection. Thanks, again!

its_virgil

WOW is right. Quite a story and desk set. Lou is one lucky guy! Great job and thanks for sharing the whole story....the story often makes the pen even more special.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

DWK5150

Very impressive. Never thought of using driftwood at all. Did you have any problems when turning with sand or anything being imbedded in it?

PenWorks

Very special , very nice.
In Arizona, drift wood is illegal to take from the lakes,
but it is okay to burn it in a camp fire, while at the lake.

pete00

Originally posted by DWK5150
<br />Very impressive. Never thought of using driftwood at all. Did you have any problems when turning with sand or anything being imbedded in it?

not any problems at all, most of the sand was on top of the piece.
A few hits with a brush and some water it all came off.

Dario

Originally posted by pete00
<br />
Originally posted by DWK5150
<br />Very impressive. Never thought of using driftwood at all. Did you have any problems when turning with sand or anything being imbedded in it?

not any problems at all, most of the sand was on top of the piece.
A few hits with a brush and some water it all came off.

You're lucky then. I turned a driftwood manzanita root burl and it was filled with sand on all crevices (which is a lot). I also found a few stones about 1/2" dia inside...talk about gouge killers. [B)]

There is a photo of it in my album...taken before I gave it away.

woodpens

Very nice, Pete. I need you to write the descriptions for all of the pens on my website. We could double the asking price! [:D] I just don't take the time I should for this.

pete00

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Very nice, Pete. I need you to write the descriptions for all of the pens on my website. We could double the asking price! [:D] I just don't take the time I should for this.

Jim
i dont have enough time left on this earth to name all your pens.[:D]

Thanks again for all the nice words. I actually had fun doing this.
I got to thinking that everyone has "a touch of" there local area.

Not sure what your state tree is, or if you can make a pen from a coconut, cactus, lava ?, iceberg [:)](for our nothern friends).

Mabey we can all come up with a state pen and sell them at shows for each other. (that came out as a joke but i wonder if it would work.)

thanks......pete

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Pete,

The main reason I did not take part in the pen exchange was fear of getting someone of Lou's caliber as my "pen partner". I know nothing I make is on a par with his work, so why would he want it. CONGRATULATIONS, that was a daunting task, you rose to the occasion well!!![:p][:p]

pete00

ed

That was my first concern, but as it turns out I had nothing to worry about, it was all in my head. Every pen that i have seen and have heard talked about all had the same thing in common. It was done to give as a gift from a fellow turner. Every message ive seen had
excitement, fear of not being good enough and more importantly, they all had someone say proudly "i made this for you"

We all know what it takes to make something. Doesnt matter if we made 1 or 1000, or skill level(whatever that means).
The same effort and pride goes into it, and we all appriciate that.

This was so much fun I would do it again in a second, next time we do a swap, i encourage everyone to join in the fun.

pete

Dario

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Pete,

The main reason I did not take part in the pen exchange was fear of getting someone of Lou's caliber as my "pen partner". I know nothing I make is on a par with his work, so why would he want it. CONGRATULATIONS, that was a daunting task, you rose to the occasion well!!![:p][:p]

I don't know Ed. As far as I am concerned your work is up there with the best too.

I do agree with Pete...everyone I know feel great with what they received, whether it is better than theirs or not.

I almost didn't join because of time constraints but my wife encouraged me to...I'm glad I did [:)]

BigRob777

Pete,
Very nice. I've got a lot of driftwood that my wife and I saved for making projects, like lamps and such. I haven't a clue what type of wood it is though. The planks make great bases for lamps. I really want to come up with a completely unique odd pen, made from something bizarre. I'll know it when I find it. I wonder how a fish spine would turn, if it were stabilized...hmmmm....(I have some from the beach)
Rob
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom