My First Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

My first bottle stopper, which is made from tulipwood. I turned this and a BOW Sierra over the holiday weekend. I need to figure out how to photograph better. The focus seems to be on one part, on the top view, but you get the gist of what it looks like.
Rob

20051128222220_DSCN1857.jpg
20051128222232_DSCN1865.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Billy,
Thanks, I think I'll do my next one shorter and with more contour. I would like to do a laminate, but my insert broke on my band saw today (cutting maple burl, the blade pulled a chunk right through it into the guard below and bent that into the blade. Arrrrggggghhhhh! Now I can't use my saw for a week. That's OK, as my back is out again anyway.
Rob

JimGo

Rob, the first pic looks awesome! Second one is out of focus, and I'd guess you were in too close for your macro setting.

I REALLY like the way you shaped it; it accentuates the grain pattern and gives it a really unique look; almost like an inlay.

BigRob777

Jim,
Thanks. I have liked tulipwood since I made my 2nd pen out of it. The rings on the top were almost an after thought. I want to taper the tops more. It was fun though. I only used BLO for a finish. I liked the satin look. I may put a thin coat of sanding sealer on it soon, to protect it.
Rob

BigRob777

Harry,
Thanks, but I can't reach my back.[:D]

Bryan,
You're right. I have a quite a few turning squares to choose from, so I just picked one from the top. Thanks for the compliment.
Rob

melogic

Way to go Big Rob! Looks awesome. I'll have to take some pictures of my stoppers I've made. I keep selling them faster than I can make them. I have ordered 20 so far and only have about 6 or 7 left. I have been putting state quarters in the ends of some of mine and they have been going over really big. I have some now with the resin setting up but I will take pictures as soon as I can. Take care and hope your back gets better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom