My First (mostly) Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

I decided on a twist pen for my first kitless, so I wouldn't have to worry about threads and such. I used a slim transmission and a pair of slim tubes. Aluminum finial and nib, "Alien Blood" PR, Parker refill. I haven't decided on a clip yet. The nib was drilled then epoxied to the tube and the combination was turned between centers.

I did learn that press fit parts don't work so good with a spring loaded refill. The finial works its way out after several uses of the transmission. I weakened the spring considerably and it helped but still isn't perfect. So I will have to incorporate threads somewhere anyway if I make more of this design.

My calipers must have moved between measuring the finial and the barrel. :rolleyes: But as this is just a design test, not a huge deal.

kitless01.jpg

kitless02.jpg

kitless03.jpg

kitless04.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Hey Don, don't beat yourself up to bad, really looks sharp over here.:wink: Really like the way you incorporated the finial with the transmission.:cool: Are you using 6061 aluminum?

DurocShark

Actually, this aluminum was whatever the BORG sells in 5/8". I have a bar of 3/4" 6061. They turn about the same...

cnirenberg

Don,
That is fantastic. I like the Alien Blood PR, looks sharp. Did you cast this yourself? I'm siding with the Roller-man on the pen itself, looks terrific, this is an awesome candidate for the wire clip-thingy for sure.

DurocShark

Thanks.

Yeah, my own casting. It's an early version, the newer ones have better defined swirls.

My plan was to use SS wire mounted in the finial. But I'm not sure yet... ;) I'm liking the idea of a flat clip with this design, but I don't know how best to mount it with the slim tranny in there.

Rollerbob

Don not sure of the outside diameter, but why not a chrome clip that will slip over the tranny? May be ream it a bit and glue to blank if you don't want it to move when opening and closing the nib.

Last edited:

DurocShark

The barrel's too thick for any of my kit ones. I already checked. Possibly one from a Jr kit, but I don't have one I'm willing to tear apart to see...

Rollerbob

The barrel's too thick for any of my kit ones. I already checked. Possibly one from a Jr kit, but I don't have one I'm willing to tear apart to see...
No guts, no glory!:biggrin:............. I agree with ya.:wink: I have been tinkering with some rings to attach clips but so far failure.:frown:

ldb2000

Hey Don , that looks great . I like it ,with or without a clip . There are several ways to fit a flat clip to a finial operated pen . Just keep playing with it , I'm sure you will come up with a way . Welcome to MY world :biggrin:

DurocShark

LOL!

I whipped this pen out, as photographed, when I was at the bank today. Sold two to tellers for $100 each. Without clips.

I love this hobby.

ldb2000

Don , congrats on the sales , Ain't it great ? I loose more great pens that way ... but the compensation is more useful :biggrin:

A simple solution to the finial slipping off , on future ones thread the nib end so it screws into the body and use a little epoxy on the transmission to lock it into the tube . You change the refill by unscrewing the nib , the finial can be permanently attached .

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Awesome pen. Good job on the design, the blank and the idea. Oh yea, and the sale:bananen_smilies046:.

DurocShark

Don , congrats on the sales , Ain't it great ? I loose more great pens that way ... but the compensation is more useful :biggrin:

A simple solution to the finial slipping off , on future ones thread the nib end so it screws into the body and use a little epoxy on the transmission to lock it into the tube . You change the refill by unscrewing the nib , the finial can be permanently attached .

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. But it sure was convenient to have the nib glued to the blank while turning. :wink:

RAdams

Banned
NICE DESIGN! I really like the pen, the way it is... But if you were to put a clip on it, i think an invisible would be the ultimate! Just under the finial 1/4 inch or so.. tuck it in there nicely. would be smooth. allthough you would probably have to go with the perm. finial design at that point??? i dunno.. never done an invisible yet.

Top Bottom