My first experience as a vendor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

I'm still not a "business", but I had an opportunity to be the only vendor at a turning class in New Jersey and it went quite well. I want to thank those of you who have been patient, awaiting my return to fill orders. Here are two shots, taken by my friend Mike, at the class. Another friend Joe (clewless, here on IAP) helped me with the packing, unpacking and even cutting blanks and I want to thank him for that too.

Thanks Joe!

I don't think I'll be doing much of this sort of thing, as it was murder on my back, but it was a lot of fun. Those folks were friendly and nice to talk with.

I also worked out a deal with Bill Grumbine, which would allow me to sell his turning videos. He is coming out with a new one in June and I want to guage the market for it (here). Bill is a great teacher and it was my first time meeting him. What a funny guy! He really makes learning fun.

Here are the pics.
BTW, I'm trying to look like Groucho Marx here, in case you were wondering why it looks like I'm eating a pen blank.
200657185330_My%20First%20Vendor%20Experience.jpg

200657185350_My%20vendor%20table%202.jpg

Thanks,
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

OK Rob...Whats that red looking board that is standing on it's end on the table on the right? Did it sell? What's the price tag on it?

BigRob777

Ok, I'm back from the inlaws'. The big hunk is manzanita root burl. It certainly doesn't need stabilizing, as it is hard as a rock. Good try though.

Dave,
Thanks. Yeah, I'm up to 370 # again. I'd love to be down to 250, but maybe some day.

Ron,
That's pink ivory. It has a coating of wax, which makes it appear darker than it is. Actually, the top picture shows 3 squares side by side. I wish it was a bowl blank.[:D] If you're still interested, e-mail me. It's on my price list, but I'm guessing you thought it was one piece of wood, which is what it appears to be in the pic. Those are pink ivory pen blanks in front of it, which shows the contrast of what the wood looks like, without the wax. I guess the waxed look is how it will appear, with finish though.
Thanks for your interest. BTW, I sold one of the two manzanita burls. Well, I traded it for something I really wanted and five bucks.
Rob

BigRob777

Ron,
I thought so too, but I'm not spalted.[:D] Come to think of it, I don't think I need to be stabilized either. Is that the same thing as domesticated?
Rob

BigRob777

William,
Hey, are you saying I'm slow? Ohhh, I just got that joke you told last year, pretty funny....[:D] I guess I would have gotten it, if there wasn't a huge chunk of wood between the tables. Would you believe I hadn't had my coffee yet that day?[}:)][xx(]
Actually, I really did think you meant the manzanita burl.
Rob

clewless

Thanks for the "thanks". Anything to help a fellow addict.[:D]

Re-watched Bill's DVD (even the bride watched/enjoyed it)after seeing him and got more out of it. Now have a rough bowl for drying and a big pile of shavings in the shop.

Put me on the list for his new DVD when available.

BigRob777

Joe,
I'll make sure you get one. BTW, you were a huge help to me.

Billy,
Remember the old commercials, "Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible." It was Yule Gibbons (sp?) back in the 70s. He was a naturalist, who died early. Maybe pine trees aren't that good for you.[xx(]
Rob

Lloyd Frisbee

Rob, I always thought you were a class act. Now that I see all those chalk boards behind you I am right. I too am a full figured fellow. I am 6'7" with similar turning muscle (as BG would say). I loved the blanks I got from you before and am restraining myself from buying more until I turn some my current pile of blanks.

Lloyd "BigGuy" Frisbee
Silicon Valley Woodturners
San Jose,CA

BigRob777

Lloyd,
Wow, you've got me by 2". You BG and I should all hit a buffet sometime and freak out the owners. LOL
BTW, that isn't my classroom. I'm retired, but my wife is a teacher. I know you are joking, but I had to get in a plug for my wife. She really works hard.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom