My first casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

Thanks once again to the mountain of information found on this site, I am happy with my first attempt at casting blanks. I detailed the process below but if this bores you (I wouldn't blame you!) then skip to the end for pictures.

To make this I used:

• 5.25"x6"x0.75" silicone mold sprayed with mold release
  • Liquid Diamonds casting resin
  • Graphite, Copper, and Parakeet Green mica powder
  • paper to protect my work surfaces, nitrile gloves, and even though this resin states no VOC I wore a respirator out of habit when working with epoxy
  • 8 oz (~235ml) graduated mixing cups and wooden tongue depressor sized mixing sticks
I went with Liquid Diamonds because I do not currently have a pressure pot and did not want to invest in one if I wasn't going to enjoy the process. I shouldn't have worried, it cured up bubble-free in about 24 hours.

I measured the volume of the mold by filling with water and then pouring into a graduated container. Just over 450ml. Since the LD resin is a 2:1 formula that meant some easy math of 300ml resin with 150ml hardener. I prefer to measure by weight so I zero'd out my scale with my mixing container on it and added 300ml of resin, then recorded the weight. Divide that by half, zero the scale again, and then add the hardener.

Thoroughly mixing slowly to reduce bubbles I then separated the resin into three 150ml cups and stirred in my mica powders, one color per container.

It was at this point where I realized that I could not find my laser thermometer :mad: so I quickly searched the web and discovered that on average the LD resin got to about 120 degrees around the 45-50 min mark in most cases. Far less accurate than I would have liked but I had to make do.

I checked it about every 15 min, stirring again to ensure no mica settled but I needn't have worried. Everything stayed in suspension quite nicely.

At 45 min the cup felt warm to the touch but I felt it was not ready so I waited another 10 minutes. I assume this was due to the relatively small volume in each cup. At 55 min the cup was noticeably warmer and the resin had just started to thicken a bit so this was when I decided to pour.

I just randomly poured the colors into the mold, varying motion and how aggressively I poured. This left a pleasingly random pattern but to be sure I used a wooden skewer to make some quick swirls in the combined colors.

After that, it was off to the shelf to cure for 24 hours. Demolding was a piece of cake, it practically fell out of the mold.

These are the pieces after cutting into 0.75"x6" blanks. This is the cut edge so not shiny but I felt it gave the best look at the interior of the blank.

silver ash-copper-parakeet green-1.jpg
silver ash-copper-parakeet green-2.jpg

The pictures are pretty grainy so I will have to see after turning how it turns out but so far it looks promising!

Sorry for the length, I just wanted to post my process here as a means of recording my method.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

Looks good for a first pour! With liquid diamond, I get the best color separation pouring at 140-150F. And yes a digital thermometer is needed if you want to wait to reach that temperature because it will start hardening pretty fast after that. Preheating part A in hot water (I immerse the container in a larger bucket and fill it with hot water until part A container is almost buoyant) will cut down the time to reach pouring temperature by almost half.

Painfullyslow

Looks good for a first pour! With liquid diamond, I get the best color separation pouring at 140-150F. And yes a digital thermometer is needed if you want to wait to reach that temperature because it will start hardening pretty fast after that. Preheating part A in hot water (I immerse the container in a larger bucket and fill it with hot water until part A container is almost buoyant) will cut down the time to reach pouring temperature by almost half.

That is a great tip! Much appreciated!

I would normally be using a thermometer but for the life of me I cannot find where I put mine. I just ordered a replacement from Amazon which pretty much guarantees that I will find mine within the next 1-3 days :p

All in all the pour was done too soon, which I would have known if I had my #$*&#% thermometer. There was not the degree of separation that I would have preferred but not terrible I suppose.

I do have to say that I *love* the way the liquid diamond turns so easily. Hands down my favorite acrylic to work with.

This was an end blank which looks like it got most of the green and copper, and almost none of the graphite. Still, not terrible

slimline1-2.jpg

slimline1-3.jpg

Top Bottom