My first cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtoolsniper

The casting is working now I have to get the pictures down. Thanks to all of you who have posted this information I am pretty pleased with how these are turning out.
200741882236_pink%20and%20green%20for%20web%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oldtoolsniper

Guess I could explain the colors. I get all the free wood I want from a major cabinet company here in Iowa. Lot’s of cherry and maple with some others tossed in when they get custom orders. The lady at the front desk calls me when they have a load ready and I go let them load my pick-up. I heat my house with the stuff they cull out. Hmm mostly wild grained short face frame cut offs… Her favorite colors are how that pen came to be. I now have wood forever! I think it was a fair trade.

All that beautiful wood and it’s to small for anything… Well until I discovered pens…..

SteveB

Nice casting, what products do you use, also do you use pressure or vacuum. I am new to the addiction as well and would like to cast some of my own blanks

oldtoolsniper

Steve,
I use the harbor freight pressure pot. I did a few with out it and had success. I then had a failure with bubbles in the casting so I just went to the pressure pot method to reduce that chance. As for the resin it’s from Mr Fiberglass.com the crystal clear. The colors for the castings are from artstuff.com I called them and they allowed me to select a bunch of small sample jars of different colors to try for a few bucks each.

jkirkb94,
I found the idea in the library I don’t remember who. They made a pen display board for photography and used a small wire drilled into the board. Just remove the refill and the wire goes right up the nib. The wood is just something that sheared off next to my wood splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom