My first CA glue finished pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My wife is a sales person for a bank and that requires her to sign loans with all kinds of clients. Because of that, she has commissioned me to make her a pen for loan and document signings. She requested the Rinehart rollerball pen from Woodcraft.

I have been interested in doing CA finish for a while and now I was able to convince the wife in the small investment for the pads and bushings since this is going to be a show piece when signing documents with clients I wanted it to look as good as it could. My hope is that some of her higher end clients might want me to make them a pen as well.

I learned a few things while pressing the pen as far as lining up the ends on the cap since they look like nuts on this kit. As well as matching the grain on the two parts before pressing the cap. Those are small things, but I am OCD when it comes to them, and I figure if I want to charge good money for a pen that then we details need to be taken care of.

Please let me know what you think. I am alsostill working on taking photos of my pens.

f9b55e3c834c74575bac5c611575e543.jpg
b00aca9921b2d99389ac3dfacd0b1baa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day,

How many CA coats are you using, thin or medium CA?

You either not putting enough CA coats and or are sanding almost through the CA as I can see (if the pics are a correct representation of what the lens are looking at) some dull spots and in general, it needs a few more coats to sand and polish to what I know you want them to look.

Considering that, this is your first CA finished pen, you have done a much better job than the majority of people that try using it so, a great start and half way there, the rest comes with a little more practice...!:biggrin:

I hope you don't mind constructive criticism...!:wink:

Cheers
George

G'day,

How many CA coats are you using, thin or medium CA?

You either not putting enough CA coats and or are sanding almost through the CA as I can see (if the pics are a correct representation of what the lens are looking at) some dull spots and in general, it needs a few more coats to sand and polish to what I know you want them to look.

Considering that, this is your first CA finished pen, you have done a much better job than the majority of people that try using it so, a great start and half way there, the rest comes with a little more practice...!:biggrin:

I hope you don't mind constructive criticism...!:wink:

Cheers

George

Thanks for the reply George.

I did 4 coats at first, then sanded through the micro mesh grits. Then I added 5 more coats and sanded again. I only pressed the pads for about 3-5 seconds on the slowest setting on my lathe. I don't have plastic polish yet, so I couldn't do that final polish.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

robutacion

Thanks for the reply George.

I did 4 coats at first, then sanded through the micro mesh grits. Then I added 5 more coats and sanded again. I only pressed the pads for about 3-5 seconds on the slowest setting on my lathe. I don't have plastic polish yet, so I couldn't do that final polish.

That should be enough of CA, even if you remove most of the first 4 coats, the last 5 should provide you with the gloss/shine you are after but without a polishing compound, you never get the shine.

I like to use the Novus 2 as a polishing compound, it works well for me, some folks go a step further and use the Novus 3 which I believe is a protective coat for fingerprints, etc...!

Like I said, you are on the right track, congrats.:biggrin:

Cheers
George

jttheclockman

It does look good for the first time and with practice you will get even more proficient and learn the ins and outs. Just a small note, could you please reduce the size of your photos next time you post. Thanks. There are tutorials in the library in case you need help doing this.

keithbyrd

Hiram - as others have said - nice job for the first one - better than my first few ca jobs! Now some comments regarding your process. I would put on more coats. I put 3-5 coats of thin and at least 4-5 of medium and sometimes more. I sand it with 400 until all the shiny spots are gone which means there will be no low spots or depressions left. And don't forget to sand lengthwise. Then I micro mesh with each pad until I get that pads shine level. I also spin at 3500 when I micro mesh and polish. After micro mesh I use Dr. Marks 3 step polish and then finish with Huts ultra plastic polish. You will work the process so that it works for you. But again I would put on more CA before sanding and increase the speed for MM sanding/polishing and final polishing.
I would also recommend that you work on taking some of the curve out of the barrel and cap. I like them straighter! I never get negative comments about a straight pen but sometimes do about the curve. Also some of the heavier, bigger pens don't appear as big if the bodies are straighter!
Good luck and great start!!
Please take all comments as constructive not critical - Your first pens are much better than mine! I look forward to seeing more!

Last edited:

bfrazier

I'm with you on the NOVA polish. start with a make-up pad with denatured alcohol to clean the turned blank, to get rid of any small amounts of "dust" and "dirt" that may be in the grain of the wood. I'll give most of the CA work between 8-10 coats of thin applying at low speed with a good quality paper towel... NO InstaCure! Let dry, sometimes overnight, to really let the CA cure and harden. Micro Mesh down through all the grits then the 3-steps of NOVA polish. I was using PSI One-Step; however, I found the NOVA to be much more superior overall. A bit more work, the the results far out weigh the effort.

farmer

Ca finish

I use automotive polishing creams to polish out my finishes

Meguiar's # 4 heavy cut #2 fine cut #9 swirl removal , show glaze wax .

Top Bottom