My First Bent Kauri Pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaurikid

Kaurikid

The words I want to use they wouldn't print here! Thank you Rockler for providing me with an absolute piece of junk . On checking the kit before starting work the only concern was the black plastic thread in the center band. It looked a bit ropey but not that much to give me any concerns I mean it is a cheap kit.

Anyway yesterday I was happy and motivated and thought I would make Rockler's Gold Plateau Rollerball Pen ID 44079 with some more Kauri, abalone and ebony inlay to make it special. Did the special bit and was reasonably pleased with the outcome so started putting the mechanics together. I made the cap first because I needed to line up the 2 inlays and thought this seemed the right way to start?

I screwed the coupler fully into the cap so I would know where the lower body inlay would line up and pressed them together just a little bit in case I needed to get them apart again. Then took the pen out of the press and rechecked the cap would line up. All was good so took the cap off and pressed the assembly together all the way. Finished the rest of the pen and there they were ready to be put together, the top and bottom.

I was smiling as I picked them up but that soon changed to a gasp as after screwing them together again the inlays were way out of line. First I thought it was my mistake but after carefully checking found the threads were somehow allowing 2 entry points! Then the big shock the pen was slightly bent in the middle and enough to notice it easily!!. (see photo) My thought is the plastic threaded piece is not sitting straight.

I bought 2 of these kits so I checked the center band in the other kit and the black threading looked neater but when I tried to screw a coupler into it I couldn't even get it started. I didn't want to force it and end up with a crossed thread so I'll shelve the kit till I hear from Rockler. I also noticed there is about 1mm less plastic thread!

I really feel upset that Rockler is failing on quality control at my expense and hard work. A refund wouldn't even get close to cheering me up and when you think about the return post cost and effort getting a replacement I just can't be a…d!

If anyone out there can shed any light on where I might have gone wrong or done something I shouldn't of please fire away I can take it.

Enjoy . . . . what could of been...

Attachments

• Kauri Bent Pen.jpg
    Kauri Bent Pen.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Bent Pen.jpg
    Bent Pen.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 240

Wingdoctor

I won't comment on the bent pen condition, but the multiple thread starting positions is normal for all removable screw cap kits. The kits are made with a 2, normally 3 thread screw section so that it does not take several turns of the cap to remove it. If you have aligned the parts correctly before pressing them together they will go back in alignment if you start the cap in the correct position. Sometimes you have to unscrew and move to the next starting position to get the wood grain aligned. It's just part of the game.

OZturner

I won't dwell on the Quality aspects of Asian manufacture, but hopefully, Rockler, are a Prestigious, and Quality Minded USA Organisation, and they will attend properly and promptly to resolving your concerns.
Regarding what you have, is a Glorious Kauri Blank, with Superb Abalone and Ebony Inlays.
Excellent Finish.
Hopefully the Blanks will be recoverable.
Brian.

Kaurikid

Being new to pen turning I suppose you live and learn.

Thanks Bruce for pointing out the reason for the thread being the way it is. But if I were just a pen buying person and I purchased a pen with cap and body matching grain/inlay and replaced the cap to find things didn't match any more I would think there was a problem! But like you say it's threaded that way for a reason. Just don't make pens with inlays that have to match is the answer or is there a solution?

Thanks Bruce for your words of praise and you're right I'm sure Rockler will sort it out but both kits having bad thread inserts shouldn't be happening. So if you or anyone can be kind enough to explain the best way I can remove the center band without damage to the blank I'll try and change it.

Thanks

Steve

Top Bottom