MSNBC News Formatting and Chaotic Presentation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

This thread is not intended to be political. . I hope that there will be no political commentary on what I am about to say.

I have relied on MSNBC internet news in order to keep up on world events and US news for the past 8 years, or so.
I find their reports, in general, to be more balanced than many other news sources. . In general, I like their reporters and their reporting. . BUT . . . . .

There have been major changes in their general formatting over the past couple of years, although the reporting personalities, with some additions, are the same.

It is this change in the formatting that I am concerned with.

For example, the identically same news article is often re-presented with a different title a few hours later.
The dating of the articles seems to be obscured recently.
Very recently, a group of news articles seem to run on from each other in a fairly incoherent manner so that you really don't know where you are being led.

Now, you never know what report is going to be presented next, and the overriding title on the screen does not reflect the actual visual and audio.
This makes things very hard to follow . . . and quite hopeless to record links for future reference.

It used to be that you could follow news articles by the same reporter.
But not any more. . In recent months, there seems to be very little patterned organization of reports by the same reporter.

I am mainly interested in learning if major changes in management have taken place at MSNBC which have led to this chaotic state of their website.
I would be grateful for any insight provided by others who view MSNBC regularly.

As I made clear at the start, I am not interested in any political biases that may be coming through in their content.
I am trying to understand why the frequent and troublesome changes in presentation and formatting have occurred in recent months (maybe back a couple of years).

The chaotic evolution of their website continues to annoy me greatly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I tend to look online at both FOX News and ABC in trying to figure out what the balance is and I see the same thing on both websites. FOX tends to run one or two standard video/audio tracks for most articles and the closest real vent for some with very few actually tying to the headlines article or write up.

ABC tends to run the closest relevant audio and video but still not tied to the headlines. Both will link the same article under different headlines to some extent like you see on NBC. More often I click a headline and the item is no longer available, even though it just appeared.

I guess my point is that it may not be an NBC thing as much as another trend in the useless nature of news reporting these days.

Dehn0045

For example, the identically same news article is often re-presented with a different title a few hours later.
The dating of the articles seems to be obscured recently.
Very recently, a group of news articles seem to run on from each other in a fairly incoherent manner so that you really don't know where you are being led.

Their profit motive (all of the news outlets) is to keep your attention as long as possible so they can sell advertising. Changing the article title or position on the screen might get you to click on an article for the first time, or maybe even a 2nd or 3rd time. This increases the amount of time you are looking at their advertisements and therefore their profit, all with very little effort on their part. Scrolling is something that is very common on social media, basically the "what is going to be next" approach. News orgs have done the math and determined that blasting articles one after another maintains your attention for longer than if they separate them in a coherent way and you are forced to choose what comes next. Of course, they don't want to confuse you so much that you find a different site to go to, but then again they might own that site too so... The illusion of choice is a pretty powerful tool. Anyway, it is probably by design that you find it takes longer to consume the news.

1080Wayne

I believe Sam`s analysis is correct , Mal . I stick with the CBC and the BBC , which don`t seem to do much of that . But it may be I just don`t see it , as I seldom listen to audio or watch video clips . A reporter has to work to write intelligently and concisely . Filling up a time slot with incoherent words is easier for some . I can find better things to do withn my time than listen to talking heads .

monophoto

Their profit motive (all of the news outlets) is to keep your attention as long as possible so they can sell advertising. - - - News orgs have done the math and determined that blasting articles one after another maintains your attention for longer than if they separate them in a coherent way and you are forced to choose what comes next.
Very true.

I my professional life many years ago, I had some involvement with the live TV side of a couple of the networks in which someone there described news broadcasts as 'advertisement delivery vehicles'.

I visit multiple news sources for information. These include Reuters, FoxNews, CNN, American Family News, The Epoch Times, etc to see what they are reporting. The truth is somewhere in the middle when you get different perspectives.

The problem I find is that each site will often have different news articles they deem important that the others do not. They don't all report on the same things based on politcal officiliation. So yeah, sites can be frustrating but I would encourage you to look elsewhere for news reports other than just MSNBC.

henry1164

I challenged all my Grandchildren to "never let anyone form your opinion for you"! Take in ALL information possible on the subject/issue and then form your own opinion/direction/decision. This information collection process should include a wide variety of news sources even if they have a known "slant" to one side or other.

magpens

Just a word of thanks to all who have replied !! . . 😍 😍 😍

It seems not many IAP members get their news on the INTERNET from ... MSNBC . com ... which has been my source.

For many years, I used to really like the format and organization of their website, but lately it has become really crappy IMHO.

I still really like their presenters . . . . . . but the website organization has become totally horrible IMHO.
I guess that the "big shots" and editors have messed it up.

Just to re-iterate what I said at the beginning . . . I am not talking about any (possibly biassed) views expressed . . .
. . . my concern is the general website appeal and usability . . . . which has gone . . .
. . . I was going to say "to the dogs", but that's an insult to dogs ! ! ! ! :rolleyes:

Thanks again, EVERYBODY !!!!!

Last edited:
Just a word of thanks to all who have replied !! . . 😍 😍 😍

It seems not many IAP members get their news on the INTERNET from ... MSNBC . com ... which has been my source.

For many years, I used to really like the format and organization of their website, but lately it has become really crappy IMHO.

I still really like their presenters . . . . . . but the website organization has become totally horrible IMHO.
I guess that the "big shots" and editors have messed it up.

Just to re-iterate what I said at the beginning . . . I am not talking about any (possibly biassed) views expressed . . .
. . . my concern is the general website appeal and usability . . . . which has gone . . .
. . . I was going to say "to the dogs", but that's an insult to dogs ! ! ! ! :rolleyes:

Thanks again, EVERYBODY !!!!!
I spend my first hour every morning reading news on the internet, and later my last couple of hours of the day doing the same... I rarely look at msnbc though... I like other news sources, Fox and Yahoo because I like their formats... I also like BBC and NPR... I know Fox is pretty biased against my way of thinking, but read anyway to get an opposing view. Yahoo news is mostly just for fun.

It used to be reporters were allowed to report the news, now personalities report interpretations of the news. I'm not sure many "journalists" are left.
News programs are mostly now just for entertainment and for advertisements.... I notice on TV we get 2-3 minutes of news and then 5 minutes of commercials... and usually in the 2-3 minutes they will be previewing what they will show you in the next 2-3 minute news slot... it's hard to follow TV news.

I was in Trinidad some years back on a business trip and went down to dinner... since I was a single, the restaurant suggested I just sit in the bar and have dinner... from my table I could see the TV that had a local news program on.... the commentator sat and just read the news, no commentary on what any of it meant, no interpretation, just simple reading of the news... few if any commercials.... I found that refreshing and wish our news programs would go back to doing it that way.

penicillin

One of the things that I miss the most from when we lived in Canada was CBC news, which we watched on television.

Top Bottom