Most reliable Pencil kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron B

I am new to the forum. I am an experienced bowl turner and am responding to an interest by my grandsons to make pens. I have already ordered and used some pen/pencil making equipment as I wanted to get some experience with the procedure before introducing my grandsons. I ordered a couple of slimline kits from a reputable company that I have used for other lathe turning equipment. I made a slimline pencil where the click mechanism worked all of a couple hours, hardly acceptable to me much less a couple of 12 and 13 year old boys. I suspect this question has been asked and answered at least a couple of times. If you could point me to a previous thread or give me your opinion I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. I would prefer not to name the company I ordered the pencil kits from.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

I have found any number of very good pencil kits: Retro/Provencal-Executive (BHW), PK Executive (PSI) both styled after the Parker Duofold Classic; the Round Top European (BHW) styled after the Mont Blanc; the El Grande pencil/Ballpoint with Schmidt mechanism, the Mistral Pencil - nicest of the bunch. I've had no issues with any of the mechanisms in these pens.

ramaroodle

Most folks don't realize that Slimlines are inexpensive but are one of the hardest to make as there is soo little wood left after turning. If you can master them then the others will be easier. Next thickness up is the Comfort style while the Sierra/ Manhattan style is very popular and inexpensive. Most commercial kits are made by the same few Asian companies. I'm that grout Dayacom kits seem to have a good reputation however the same kits are most certainly distributed under different names. See supplier differences link post from Ed below.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/supplier-differences.157032/post-2046809

Last edited:

Bryguy

I have been making pentel conversions for years. The mechanisms are tough, the replacement leads and erasers are easily available. Customers love them. I use a modified drill bit which I bought from someone on the IAP site.

Top Bottom