Most popular wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chitswood

I think Amboyna is the most popular right?

I got some, but none for sale as of now, what other woods are you guys after?
I sell the exotic hardwoods, so anything in that range is probably available to me right now.

I've been surfing the other pen blank sites and I know I can get nearly any of the woods they sell to you at a cheaper price, I'd like to do that, but I don't know what you guys want.
Let me know, I'll look it up for you guys. -Darick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chitswood

Just popular woods.

If I know what wood you guys are after, I can go get it, I'd love to see more pens from our woods.

To be honest I haven't turned a pen in 3 years, its all been bowls, vases, etc. But after running into this site, I think I may start up again, I just need some instructions on how to do it.

Just like some of you are addicted to turning, I have an addiction for cutting up the boards, seeing the lumber, I get to see every little bit and details of these marvelous and rare trees in thousands of ways because of this small wood business - I do this because I enjoy woodworking!

The business itself isn't that bad, we make about $20,000 a year after we pay all the wood, shipping, ebay, and mistake bills. The money goes to paying the house bills, car bills, college, and the 12 other people in my family, in fact that was the reason we started this.

My favorite wood is free wood. (no offense meant I assure you)

After that it's anything that ends in burl.

Then it's anything with a drop dead, knock out figure, think quilted, birdseye, curl and crotch.

Finally it's anything that has to do with maple.

chitswood

Well, I got about $800 of amboyna burl slabs coming, I'm getting them in a wood trade.
How about curly mahogany, anybody interested in that? I think I can get that at a good price. Has anyone tried dying that stuff?
I think I can get curly koa too, but its pricy - rare.

I'll look around for some really figured stuff, I'm used to looking at bowl blanks, box boards and such.

chitswood

Bimblebox is also called Jarrah, we had some of the plain stuff at one point
We used to sell obeche, we called it wawabima though, it was literally as light as paper and very plain.
I don't recognize jetulong and I don't see any other common names although it also looks pretty plain

Dario

Darick,

This thread may help you http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12455

It is a survey I did a few months back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom