Morse taper length

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muddydogs

I've been looking for a new live center but none of the ones I have looked at state a taper length so that leads me to the question on taper length. I got my lathe second hand and it came with a point and cup live center that isn't long enough to eject out of the tail stock quill, I didn't think my lathe did that until I purchased a 60 degree center and drill chuck which I tried and low and behold they ejected. I want to replace the point and cup with one that will eject as it's a pain to catch the edge of the one I have and drive it out. So is my original point and cup short for some reason?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

I've been a machinist for 47 years and I have never seen or heard
Of no such thing
As far as I know when you have a certain size of taper the lenth
Follows suit, I may be wrong but never heard of no such thing

egnald

There is such a thing as a Short Shank Morse Taper. It is intended to increase the quill travel when used with a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock. You can get more travel out of the tailstock starting out with the quill retracted farther than is possible with a standard Morse taper by starting beyond the point where a standard Morse taper would have ejected. Of course you need to use a Knock-Out-Rod to remove the tool because it is too short for the quill to eject it. (I bought a long screwdriver and cut the bit end off to make my Knock-Out-Rod). - Dave

PS I think the standard length for MT2 is 2.56" Inches. The Shorts that I have seen are 2.375".

Muddydogs

I'll take a pic tomorrow but the MT2 taper is noticeable shorter on the point and cup center when compared to my 60 and drill chuck tapers.

Drewby108

I've had to machine some morse tapers in school and did an MT2 that was only about 1.5" long for a specialized project, but it's new for regular equipment to be short. I wonder if what you have was for a machine that had an odd sized quill or something.

howsitwork

They do make short tapers and taper sleeves. Suggest you glue a small nut onto end of taper with epoxy temporarily or drill and tap then attach one .

You can buy threaded tangs over here in uk to attach to threaded morse fittings eg drill chucks with drawbar fitting.

Theyre very handy to have

darrin1200

Is your Morse taper solid? I have a couple that have screws in the small end. If you do, many add a spacer under the screw to make it overall longer.

Muddydogs

Talk about working with a short tool.

Attachments

• PXL_20230827_151155152.jpg
    PXL_20230827_151155152.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20230827_151146493.jpg
    PXL_20230827_151146493.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 50

Curly

By any chance does the short tapered centre have a tip that can be knocked out? If so that is why the taper is the length it is. If longer the end would be very thin. The lathe may not have come with the taper and that's why it can't be ejected.

Muddydogs

By any chance does the short tapered centre have a tip that can be knocked out? If so that is why the taper is the length it is. If longer the end would be very thin. The lathe may not have come with the taper and that's why it can't be ejected.
Yep the point comes out, knocked it out a few times trying to get the center out of the quill.

Muddydogs

Watched a couple YouTube videos on live centers and figured out my issue. Bet my short live center is for my Dad's smaller Jet lathe, seams the Jet midi runs the shorter taper.

Top Bottom