More on mass production

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pen_man_ship

Pen_man_ship

Hi all,
Several days ago I posted a photo of seventy or so pens in different states of completion.
I didn't say much, most of us born Mainers don't use a lot of words. My doctor, he's a PFA (people from away) asked me if I was alright with the six foot social distancing...I replied, "We Mainers, under normal circumstances, think that's too close."
Anyway, here's a photo of twenty two ready for market. Yes, I'm in this for profit, I want to make money. I would like to pay for the tools in my shop so I watch my time and costs. I probably don't spend any more time at the bench than most of you. US auto manufacturers don't build one car at at time. I don't build pens one at a time.
New people come here wondering if they can start a business. The perception given by older crowd is rather negative and discouraging...How can you sell pens when the bank gives them away for free? Please...the free pens don't write worth a crap! I believe that's a lame argument.
If you want to start a business, do your own research, come up with a plan, have a product that is unique, have a lot of energy and give it a go.
You won't succeed if you don't try.

Attachments

• IMG_20210413_1127352_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20210413_1127352_rewind.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 145

Mullanphy

Hi all,
If you want to start a business, do your own research, come up with a plan, have a product that is unique, have a lot of energy and give it a go.
You won't succeed if you don't try.
Amen! It's not easy, but there is no success without lots of try.

Maybe put "... come up with a plan..." in bold capital letters twice the size of everything else. Probably not appropriate for Mainer understatement, but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of PFAs in the audience. šŸ˜‰

My knives and pens, and other stuff, are a hobby. BUT...I can do my hobby and make it pay for itself without having to dip into the family budget. It's been that way since I started 10+ years ago. I do have a business plan that I did pretty early on that probably needs to be revised some, but I still try to follow it as best I can. I learned a long time ago when people give you the "Bank pens are free" story just to nicely reach over, remove the pen from their hand, nicely, and express, with a smile, your thankfulness for them telling you that (Barry Gross taught me that one kinda). Then as they walk away, and you're still smiling, say under your breath "Do I look like a bank to you?" You'll feel much better and you've gained control of the situation. Good luck, I think you've got it!

Top Bottom