More light for turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

I just got the latest offer email from PSI and they had this offered for sale: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/....20&utm_content=$35+Off+Ends+Tomorrow+10.5.20

LLMAGL_70x70.jpg

It mounts on the tail stock with a strong magnet and has 14 LED lights around the outside.

Just thought that it might be of interest to some of us who need more light that is focused on what we are turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have an LED tube light that runs the length of my lathe hanging about 2-3 feet above my lathe plus an articulated arm desk lamp that I mounted on the wall behind it... gives me plenty of light. The magnifying light looks handy, but I find I have trouble looking through a magnifier... seems I have trouble focusing both eyes through one... just my weirdness or maybe a psychological probllem????

hcpens

Wow, I wouldn't want that even close to my lathe, it would simply highlight and magnify all my mistakes!

DrD, they are NOT mistakes! They are beautification enhancements.🤣

monophoto

My situation is a bit complicated by the fact that I have very compromised vision in one eye (a detached retina that was successfully repaired after three operations, but with a lot of scar tissue that limits vision with that eye). As a a result, my near-field vision is strongly one-dimensional. I need lots of light, but I also need for the light to be rather directional (ie, multiple sources of light at differing distances from the workpiece) so that discontinuities on the surface of the turning will cast shadows.

This also causes problems with depth perception at close distances - so I have to be more careful with things like how I bring a tool up to the workpiece (my strong directional lighting causes the tool to cast shadows), how I fill a fountain pen from bottled ink, and most critically, how I pour my glass of wine at the end of the day.

So my lighting setup consists of two reflector lights at the lathe, a swivel-light in a bullet-shaped reflector mounted on the headstock that I can position to get bright directional light, and a second broad pan-shaped reflector mounted above the tailstock to provide fill lighting. I'm currently using CFLs simply because that's what I've been using for several years, but when they eventually go, I plan to replace them with LEDs. I have opted for daylight lamps because the cooler color temperature creates a perception of greater brightness.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrD

bsshog40

I think I would have a couple problems with this. One, the edges are not going to be as clear as the main focal point where you will be looking. I think it would distort in spots and would be hard to keep turning the whole piece. Also, I think my peripheral vision would keep throwing me out of whack trying to focus on the magnified area.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The is the classic catch 22. Turning, staring at 100's and 1000's of blanks will make a person crazy...but we have to be nuts to begin with to approach 3000 rpms with a sharp chisel.
But that is what is so intriguing with this fun. I don't know what is more dangerous, 3000 rpm with a razor share edge 3/8 inch away or the spouse finding out how much we have put into this mess already! . . . Elwin, get that light!

Seriously, I have had one of those for about 40 years and it still works well. I don't use it over the lathe but I do use it next to the lathe. Very helpful for me.

Top Bottom