Moisture content

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Usually turning something bigger should be no more than 6%. I don't think it will matter too much on a pen blank. Just the turning on the lathe will most likely dry the wood out. I've turned fresh mesquite wood for pens with no problems.

jttheclockman

I would run in in a toaster oven or stick it out in the sun for a day. If using an oven cycle it on a low setting so not to cause stresss to the blank. But that is too high even for a small blank like that. It will be even wetter the closer to the center.

I usually try to turn my blanks at around 6% or less. If I stabilize them I try to get to zero but it's not easy so most are at 1-3%. Another product you might try is Silica gel. I've used it and found that on small pieces, like blanks, it dries it out within 48 hours or less. Hobby Lobby and Michaels sell it in big boxes (5lbs) and if you catch it on sale it's pretty cheap...and it never goes bad that I'm aware of.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The humidity in you shop will have an effect on the MC of your blanks. Compare the MC of that blank to a few that have been in your shop for a while.

Top Bottom