Modification to CB Cambridge fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

I like the Cambridge pen but sometimes the black center band conflicts with the color of the wood or acrylic I am using. Does anyone have a technique for turning down the black plastic center band and replacing it with a more suitable material? How would this be done? Thanks for your help. Darrell Eisner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I turn a "little" ring

I don't like the black plastic ring with lighter materials. I just turn a very small ring to cover it. I post a pix later.

I like the Cambridge pen but sometimes the black center band conflicts with the color of the wood or acrylic I am using. Does anyone have a technique for turning down the black plastic center band and replacing it with a more suitable material? How would this be done? Thanks for your help. Darrell Eisner

scotian12

Thank you Andy. I will look forward to your pictures. I noticed that a number of members have viewed this thread so perhaps the solution to this problem is of interest to others. If anyone else has a solution to the center band problem please feel free to contribute. Darrell Eisner

PenMan1

1_casian_Heart_2.jpg

I cut down the black plastic thing with a razor knife, meausre it with calipers, use that measurement as my drill size for the inside diameter, then turn a small ring that matches the contour of the pen.

scotian12

Thanks Andy for the explanation and picture. The black centerband coupler will fit in a 1/2 inch collett chuck and I assume with a light touch of a skew its possible to trim a tiny bit off the outer edge of the coupler. Delicate work all around and you did a great job on fabricating a new ring. Thanks Darrell Eisner

PenMan1

Thanks Andy for the explanation and picture. The black centerband coupler will fit in a 1/2 inch collett chuck and I assume with a light touch of a skew its possible to trim a tiny bit off the outer edge of the coupler. Delicate work all around and you did a great job on fabricating a new ring. Thanks Darrell Eisner

Sandpaper was my weapon of choice on that little black ring, but I reckon a skew will do just as well.... Just not in my shakey hands.

PenMan1

I have made the cap that much longer and drilled a larger hole the diameter and depth of that band and recessed it into the cap, no CB.
Thanks Glenn!
If you have a picture your process, it would sure be helpful. I have tried to "recess" the little black center thing and could never get the pen to close right. I love the Cambridge, EXCEPT for that goofy black ring at the center band.

Last edited:

scotian12

Glenn...Thanks for your posting. You have come up with an alternative method of eliminating that CB. I would add my request to Andys that a picture and a short explanation would be helpful. Thanks Darrell Eisner

dow

Excuse my ignorance, as I haven't made a Cambridge yet, but what would keep you from just turning off the little black ring?

PenMan1

Excuse my ignorance, as I haven't made a Cambridge yet, but what would keep you from just turning off the little black ring?

Threads.
The fluted design keeps from "over pressing" the centerband off the bottom of the top barrel. Perhaps we could cut it or turn it off as you suggest and then glue the CB to the plastic, THEN press it in?

Good thinking! The IAP will solve this, IMHO, design flaw!

Last edited:
Top Bottom